Solar charger

Eye in sky

Aug 27, 2015
Does anyone have a solar charger that they would recommend? I'm looking for one that will charge my phone.

How many days/charges do you need? I bought an Anker external battery off of Amazon that will charge my phone 6 times. For me it's better than solar, I don't need to carry a battery and a solar panel, just the battery.

I used a Brunton model once and it worked fine.  I also used a battery pack they had as well.  You could get a good solid 3-4 charges from it.

I have purchased battery backups too, but they don't work for me on backcountry Elk hunts. I carry a Garmin GPS, Suunto Ambit 3 watch with heart belt monitor, GoPro Hero with wireless remote and spare batteries, Foxcelli headlamp, Iphone (connected to my Vortex Binos for video) all of which requires periodic charging in the backcountry. All of my gear is USB charged through a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 Solar Kit. The Goal Zero solar panel attaches to my back pack and keeps my Sherpa 50 generator charged. I am off the grid with all gadgets juiced without any problem. As a back up, I clip on a Solstar Solar Panel Charger 12000 mAh (just a little larger than my Iphone) that can charge my phone 2 times.[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

I'm running the nomad 7 from goal zero and switch 10.  Love it so far and very sufficient for my needs.  I like the accessory kit and the flashlight is unbelievable.  The only down side is one charge only.

I have an Anker 8W (about $30 on Amazon) and it works great.  In full sun, mid-day, it'll charge up 50% in about an hour and a half.  Typically, I would just plug it in for 30 minutes at a time to keep the batteries topped off.  Works great.

Weighs 1 pound and it can easily be attached to the outside of your pack for an all day charge while you're on the move.

I use the Joos solar charger. It's about the size of an iPad. I strap it to my pack & let the sun hit it. Charged my phone for a week in the backcountry. I also have Otter Box with the back up battery charger in it just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back