Solo archer set-ups

ahoelzel

Mar 30, 2018
I enjoyed Cory's set-ups for solo archers, but I wonder if anyone has any alternative set-ups for the solo archer? It's quite a chess game that I ended up playing with some indivual bulls and their respective small harems, and to be frank, I was outwitted!

In my experience elk hunting archery solo I have had success locating with a bugle.  Then I sneak in slow and quiet.  I have to call several times to make sure I'm heading in the right direction but once you get within 100 yards if they are rutting string then they will come in to fight!

It is very difficult to do solo but it is what I do.  I have put up a decoy, bugled and then ran 100 yds forward.  Problem is that if you need to keep pressing forward there is some back and forth to get the decoy.  I have only had marginal results this way.  Sometimes all the back and forth isn't worth the hassle.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Hunting solo sometimes means getting more aggressive. Every time you can move in closer do it.  Bull take a tree, move. Bull looks the other way, move.  Even a step at a time is one step closer to closing the deal.

Another tactic is to ambush. Elk being herd animals need roughly 8 gal of water per day per elk. Multiply by the size of the herd and it may help you to determine where they are watering.  If you can set up just off the main trail and hold still long enough, your chances will go up considerably. This is described as 5 hours of boredom followed by 30 seconds of sheer  adrenaline rush. Quite honestly, very few can do it when they hear elk just over the ridge and they are not confident that the elk are coming to water right then.

stbmldcgrvs said:
Another tactic is to ambush. Elk being herd animals need roughly 8 gal of water per day per elk. Multiply by the size of the herd and it may help you to determine where they are watering.  If you can set up just off the main trail and hold still long enough, your chances will go up considerably. This is described as 5 hours of boredom followed by 30 seconds of sheer  adrenaline rush. Quite honestly, very few can do it when they hear elk just over the ridge and they are not confident that the elk are coming to water right then.

Very interesting. I didn?t realize elk needed that much water per day. Out of curiousity, where did you learn that from? I?ve never heard that before, but if it?s true that certainly changes how to look at certain areas.

Hunting "water" differs greatly depending on where your hunting. For instance, a unit with lots of running water like you see in CO, could be futile. It could take days off sitting.
Where as a southern NM unit with very little or no running water could payoff opening morning  sitting a waterhole. If you can find one ;)

I had a biologist tell me that about the water.  If the weather is wet they won't drink as much because they are able to get some added liquid as they feed.

the tactic to use will very depending on time of rut , also plays a roll is bull to cow ratio, weather, time of day,age of the bull you are calling  and so many other things , no mater what tactic you use it will be wrong the majority of the time but keep trying and that 1 in 10 time makes it all worth it.

I get aggressive. Many think aggression is in your calls. In my mind it's in your actions. I cow call my way to a bull. When they are haremed up, they aren't willingly leaving the cows. I won't bugle unless I'm inside 50-75 yards unless it's just a location bugle. Sometimes you won't even need to bugle. A little raking can pay off huge. I grunted 6 bulls in last year which was a real eye opener for me. They weren't herd bulls but the action was hot!

I make it a habit to always move immediately after calling. Even if it?s only a few yards down wind. Oh and call from cover. It?s amazing how a bull can pinpoint your location when you call.

I solo hunt most of the time and I don't think there is any one method for a solo set up.  I have used the wait, and wait some more, been aggressive calling, sat a tree stand still hunted, decoyed and in all cases been lucky and outwitted. Then you have to consider how pressured the elk are in your given area.

I shot my first archery elk by dumb luck in AZ while I was walking to a ridge on the game trail, next thing I know here comes a herd of cows all walking by me at 10 yards, then Mr. Bull follows the whole harem. Bam! game over easiest hunt ever. Then it took me 3 years to tag another one, LOL.

In a nut shell if you are in an area with elk you will at some point deploy all methods to be successful.

I have found getting close to the herd bull and raking to be effective.  Most times the bull who hears it starts raking himself.  Then, close the gap and shoot him. 

As trophyhill said cow calling your way to the bull works good too.  And most times he'll start raking on your way in.  Once you hear this, close the gap and shoot him lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back