Solo bivy

IdahoElkHunter

Feb 24, 2014
So, i wanna bivy into an area by myself, only like 1-2 miles in, just for a night or two, to get away from all the other hunters. Should i pack a side arm along, or is it even necessary? Just want some opinions!

I carried one for a few years then left it at home and just took bear spray. Never had to use it, but I've got it.

We were followed back to camp by a mountain lion this year...just kept stalking behind us at ~40-50 yards...creepy as hell man. I wasn't feeling real confident in my bear spray, and wished I had a handgun. I'll probably pick something up for next year, especially when I go out alone.

This year I walked up on a fresh cougar kill (unit 3) and 3 bears (unit 6) both times didn't have my sidearm, wish I would have though. yesterday I had another bear walk in front of me at 25-30 feet (good thing I was up wind) but I did have my sidearm. The times I would have liked to have it I didn't, not going to make that error again.

I think it just depends on where you're hunting. If I was in Grizzly or Wolf country I would definitely sleep better having a side arm. I don't carry one in Utah but I do in Wyoming.

may depend somewhat on where you're hunting.  in Colorado I have always hunted alone and had my sidearm with me.  I don't really worry about bears, but have had cats follow me and I bumped into a stoner in a makeshift tepee that was most likely growing pot out there...the first thing he probably noticed was the gun on my hip and so he made it a point to be friendly.

How 'bout the legality?

I'm from Minnesota and will be heading west next year for the first time.

Do all/most states allow a person to carry a handgun will bow hunting elk?

You can carry one in Montana,  I generally pack bear spray never had to use it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

EricLindquist said:
How 'bout the legality?

I'm from Minnesota and will be heading west next year for the first time.

Do all/most states allow a person to carry a handgun will bow hunting elk?
I'm almost certain you can carry in CO & MT also. Great part about most western states is they're generally red and gunfriendly. I carry more for 2 legged critters than 4... I usually take a lightweight 9mm with... I live in bear/wolf country and really don't fear them as much....I have my PTC and most states accept reciprocity but I'm almost certain even without a CCW/PTC Colorado is legal, I know MT is... Depending on where your going it's as easy as a phone call.

I usually carry spray over my S&W .44 when hunting bear country... if you look at the science behind drawing and accurately discharging a weapon at a charging (fill in the blank) generally very few people can do it...It takes alot of practice/training and then it's imperative to stay fluent. It's a similar concept to taking a pistol 1 or 2 class and then not shooting for 6 months.... everything you learn, muscle memory, etc.... dissipates. Broadcasting a spray during the heat of the moment is usually a safer bet than placing a .44 cal bullet into the small brain of a charging bear. I have at times had my spray with me and wished I had my gun though. Fortunately I've never had to use either.

BTW I see youre from MN..... Love the BWCA

backcountry_hunter said:
I usually carry spray over my S&W .44 when hunting bear country... if you look at the science behind drawing and accurately discharging a weapon at a charging (fill in the blank) generally very few people can do it...It takes alot of practice/training and then it's imperative to stay fluent. It's a similar concept to taking a pistol 1 or 2 class and then not shooting for 6 months.... everything you learn, muscle memory, etc.... dissipates. Broadcasting a spray during the heat of the moment is usually a safer bet than placing a .44 cal bullet into the small brain of a charging bear. I have at times had my spray with me and wished I had my gun though. Fortunately I've never had to use either.

BTW I see youre from MN..... Love the BWCA
x2 what he said.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back