spike hunting help.

alien chaser

Jan 22, 2013
How do you guys hunt spike elk/ cow ? Do you sit on a water hole and wait them out. Also what kinda area do you look for them in.Any help would be great.

The best thing about elk is that they are very social so no matter what you are always just looking for elk. By following what you read on this forum about hunting elk, you should be able to find not just a cow or spike or herd bull but all elk in general ;)

Locating all elk is pretty much the same, using calls to locate, spotting scope if you have open country and lots of ground work before going to an area. Gain as much information about an area before you go or you might waste a whole vacation.

FullaBull thanks.I got some areas im going to check out this summer. I hunted areas last year that looked good.I talked to a guy that day and eh said the elk was all over in there  a week ago and now they are gone.So im going to go spend more time in there this summer.The bad thing is I can sit any where and glass this area.So I dont want to go in there and bump them out. but I know there a couple waterholes in there that I need to find.

Finding water is very key as they like to be close to where they can go cool off in water during archery season. The bull I shot this year was soaking wet from a small water hole we didn't even know what close by. We found it after through :)

Getting is where elk are is not always bad unless it's their bedding area. If elk are in an area it's pretty easy to get in among them. Elk make a lot of noise in the woods so you can get away with sounding just like an elk when moving around in the woods.. Just use cow sounds here and there to make you sound like and elk walking around. I have had many elk respond to me while I was walking making noise and giving cow sounds ;)

I would say calling is a big thing sometimes. Like fullabull said elk are very social. One time my buddy and I were hunting and could see elk on the opposite ridge. My buddy cow called and both the spikes ran from over 500 yards away to us. It was funny. I think lots of times the spikes get kicked out of the herds by the bigger bulls so they are just wandering to find a "friend" because they don't know what to do with themselves.

I had that happen also one time, I was calling to a bull who was hanging with all his cows but I was about 200 yards away waiting for him to get closer. Out of nowhere I here these two screaming squeals and here come two spikes looking like teenagers....It was like a cartoon....duuu...where's the cow....huhu...where's the cow... They looks around for a little bit and ran off again. It was funny to watch  :D

Elk are in an area for a specific reason. They either like it there or they are getting away from pressure somewhere else. Either way they are not far from where you find them. Something to keep in mind is that elk have a summer ranges, a rut ranges and a winter ranges. And they do tend to go back to those ranges year after year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back