Spooking a heard

864dan

Oct 6, 2020
So I'm on my first elk hunt/ spike. I ran into heard of about 10-15 head. Cow spotted me first and I stood still for a while while I watched the heard bull bugle. I couldn't move cuz there was always someone seeing me. At some point the herd bull charged out of my field of view and I heard trampling behind me and there was a spike about 30 feet from me. At that point that point I'm not sure if the herd was spooked because of the commotion with the spike or if they saw and smelled me but they all took off running into the woods. How long should I wait until I go back to that area?

Total noobie here but excited to learn.

I bumped a bull out of a spot on day 1 of my hunt. (Came in behind me quiet while I was calling to a different bull 80 yards in front of me.) went to exact spot the next morning and called in the bull I spooked the day before and killed him. As long as they didn?t blow clear out of the country I?d go back the next day and give it a try again. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They are either still there or they're not but you won't know if you don't go back. I Generally quit hunting a place after I have rustled them up pretty good and can't locate them the next day but I have bumped herds and been right back into them the next day or later the same day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back