Spotter or Bino's

idfishnhunt

Aug 5, 2013
Right now I have a pair of 10x42's.  I thought about getting a spotter, I had a Vortex Viper HD 15x45 before.  Now I'm wonder if it makes more sense just to get a pair of 15x50 Vortex Bino's instead...using a tripod of course.  It's more rare that you use a spotter, and with the extra weight of lugging it around.  Still a 10x42...you can hold pretty steady without a tripod, but I've heard those 15x50's you need to get on a stand or they aren't steady enough to see anything.

So if spotter...omg, then we get into angled or straight!

I'll be lugging both this fall .... although probably not everyday.  The spotter really is only useful when I get close to treeline.  Otherwise the bino's work pretty good.  Did switch to the 10x42's a few years back after my super light weight 8x whatever couldn't see much after sunset.  The weight is worth the extra magnification and light gathering capabilities imho.

I always lug both around in the woods. I can spot quite a bit with my 10x42's but telling if I want to pursue it takes the spotter. For me, it is worth the extra weight.

Angled vs straight is all preference. I grew up using a straight spotter, so when I try to look through an angled I can't find a rock on a hillside

Full size. If you are going to pack one, you might as well go all out. This is the one I carry:

http://www.elk101.com/store/zeiss-victory-diascope-65-t-fl-straight-with-vario-15-45x-20-60x-eyepiece

My husband packs both he uses 10x42 binos and then a small leupold spotter that goes up to 40x if i remember correctly.

all depends on your hunt and the terrain you will be glassing. thick timber, i would take my 10x42. if i am glassing large expanses of terrain, i will pack 12x50 binos and a 20x60 spotter to take a better look at things. i like having both because if you are trying to get a quick look at something close with a set of 15's it can be tough.

Good advice, maybe sticking with the 10x42's...and picking up a spotter will be a good investment.  I did have one, but mostly used it on the range...sold it to get a tent, but now finding I wished I still had it.

I've got the Vortex 85mm Razor and although I'm cursing the weight as I climb up the hill it's worth it. The biggest benefits that I've found by taking it is seeing details on an animal to know if I want to go after it, and the other is hunting during mid day. I've learned that I can extend my effective hunting time by glassing into bedding areas with the spotter. Even if I didn't watch animals move in and bed down I can usually turn some up with the high power magnification.

Angled or straight is personal preference. I've used both and can't decide which I prefer just yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back