Spotting scope questiono

sniperbait

Aug 4, 2018
Im looking to get a spotting scope this year and was hoping that you could answer some questions for me. Im looking at spending around $1500 for my setup.

What do you recommend for a setup that would fit my budget? Will need everything from the spotter to the tripod and everything in between. I've been looking at the Vortex Razor HD. Is there anything else in my price range that I should also be looking at?

What tripods do you all recommend?Im a newb when it comes to tripods.

I have a Vortex Viper 85mm. It?s a great spotter but I would also look at Maven and Leupold if you can. Try and look through as much glass as you can in your price range.

Have you used a spotter before? The reason I ask is I'm not a huge fan of them for myself, my eyes get really strained using just a spotter for glassing. I only use a spotter if I want to get "really really" close.

For tripod spend the money and get a good one. I like the Promaster Xc525C, it's a great tripod and isn't insanely expensive. I also upgraded the head to a fluid pan head as the ball head wasn't amazing for me.

For my hunting I use my 18x56 Maven B5's instead of my spotter 95% of the time. Even using my older 10x42 vipers on the tripod lets me spot tons of animals.

The only thing the spotter does that my glass doesn't is really gets close to count stickers/extra funk etc. My 18s do well enough for me to decide if it's legal and if I should chase.

For affordable glass that looks way better than the price suggests look at Maven's C line. They lack some features and niceties of the higher end glass, but overall they're an excellent value.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions on the Maven line. I'll take a look at them as well as the Leupold lineup. I agree that for most of the time I'll be using my binos.

I do have a trip to AK planned in the next few years so I'll definitely be using the spotter then.

Athlon Talos 20-60x80mm

I have been using his for over a year now and it?s held up to everything he can throw at it. From industry events to shooting matches, this is a workhorse spotting scope that just delivers.

[font=poppins, georgia, sans-serif]The glass is clear enough to call shots out to at least 800 yards, but seeing hits on a splatter target is limited to around 300 yards depending on the target and the weather.[/font]

[font=poppins, georgia, sans-serif]
One nice thing is that the Talos comes with a build in sunshade, this is a minor detail but it?s a nice perk.

Plus a carry bag and bench height tripod are nice too!

A 45-degree eyepiece that is fully adjustable rotation gives you a lot of freedom for how to position things. From pone on the ground to sitting at a bunch, you can get a good sight picture when you need it.
[/font]

sniperbait said:
Thanks for the replies/suggestions on the Maven line. I'll take a look at them as well as the Leupold lineup. I agree that for most of the time I'll be using my binos.

I do have a trip to AK planned in the next few years so I'll definitely be using the spotter then.
Another option, if you're planning for the AK trip, would be to rent. Especially if that hunt was a sheep hunt, you'll want really good glass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back