Spring Bear

Okieelk

May 13, 2018
I know this is Elk101, but I?m wanting to plan a spring bear hunt for 2020. After some light research it looks like Montana might be the best start with good bear populations and OTC options. If anyone has general info on units to check out or not to check out, along with any additional information to hunting bears in Montana, I?d love to hear about it.

Also, any specific information regarding units, etc please shoot me a PM.

Thanks Guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any information for MT, but I'd also recommend looking at NM as well.
If you're in OK then it's a closer drive, tag prices aren't too heavy, and they have a lot of bears.

:upthumb:

Thanks DTP.

Do they have OTC tags in NM? And are rage relatively easy to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have a spring season here in New Mexico...wish we did. There is no baiting here however they run dogs during the rifle season. The tags are OTC but the state is dvided into bear zones. Each zone has a quota and when the quota is reached, the season is then closed for that bear zone. Sows are a double whammy towards the quota. I have seen some big boars taken during the berry season. The quota has not been reached in the last two seasons where I plan to hunt this year. Changed strings and tuned up the bow now I need to keep hitting the bag.

Gila said:
We don't have a spring season here in New Mexico...wish we did. There is no baiting here however they run dogs during the rifle season. The tags are OTC but the state is dvided into bear zones. Each zone has a quota and when the quota is reached, the season is then closed for that bear zone. Sows are a double whammy towards the quota. I have seen some big boars taken during the berry season. The quota has not been reached in the last two seasons where I plan to hunt this year. Changed strings and tuned up the bow now I need to keep hitting the bag.

Okieelk said:
Thanks DTP.Do they have OTC tags in NM? And are rage relatively easy to get?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila is right, I totally read over the Spring bear spot.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They are OTC tags in NM. The nice thing is if you decide to go with NM for the state you want to hunt, then you can apply for NM hunts too and not have to worry about eating the $80 annual tag.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Similar to Gila, the areas I hunt don't usually hit their quota until end of October, maybe even later.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It's definitely an option if you want a fall hunt. Sorry to get you excited by making you think it was spring.[/font][/font]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back