start up for a recurve or long bow.

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
I am experienced with a compound bow but I would like to start working with a long bow or recurve as well. I know absolutely nothing about traditional archery tackle, so I take no offense about barney level info. At the moment I do not believe I will be trying to hunt with a long bow or a recurve but I would like to get one that is adequate for big game hunting should I ever get good enough that I feel comfortable with it. Any suggestions on a decent bow brand, poundage, arrows etc that is not too taxing on the wallet will be greatly appreciated.

This has been slowly creeping up on my too aaron.
Would be fun to chase after elk with a trad bow up at you know where.

Not sure where you live, but I would recommend looking to see if there's anything like this near you
https://greatnorthernbowhunting.com/p/expo
This one is in Michigan and I have attended a couple times. You can learn a whole lot here and even shoot a ton of bows to try them out. I would see if there's a trad show, or shoot near you if this is to far.

When starting out with trad gear, the biggest mistake people do is 'over bow', meaning they get a bow that too much for them to draw correctly.Just because you draw 60+lbs with a compound, doesnt mean you need a 60lb recurve.

A few points to think about.

1- The shorter the bow the more it 'stacks' [harder to reach the 28" draw]

2- Every inch drawn over/under the 28" is about 3lbs

3- You will find out very quickly how good your form is and if it is consistent.

4- There is no blazing speed. You definitely see the 'arch' in archery.

5- It is FUN!

6- 3RiversArchery.com is your best friend

For someone that is just starting out, I would probably recommend a 58" bow, 46-52lbs. Get some full length arrows with 5" fletching, heavy brass inserts, and 150gr field tips. Try to get up into the 500+ grains for total arrow weight

cnelk said:
When starting out with trad gear, the biggest mistake people do is 'over bow', meaning they get a bow that too much for them to draw correctly.Just because you draw 60+lbs with a compound, doesnt mean you need a 60lb recurve.

3- You will find out very quickly how good your form is and if it is consistent.

5- It is FUN!

For someone that is just starting out, I would probably recommend a 58" bow, 46-52lbs. Get some full length arrows with 5" fletching, heavy brass inserts, and 150gr field tips. Try to get up into the 500+ grains for total arrow weight

I think I?ve found my off season research project!
I don?t want to chase elk with one next year, but I?d love to chase some Oklahoma or Florida whitetail with one. Oklahoma really has me interested because I could go to my ground hunting place and try to get real close

Check out some of Joel Turner's videos on YouTube. He is one heck of a good recurve shooter.

Thank you guys for the feedback! So I guess my next question is what poundage range is adequate for an elk? Again not looking doing this this upcoming season but I don?t want to buy a bow that I?ll outgrow in a year or two either. Thank u guys again

DTP said:
This has been slowly creeping up on my too aaron.
Would be fun to chase after elk with a trad bow up at you know where.

Oh yes! Just park off of FR 000, hike up nowhere ridge and post up on no elk tank

cnelk said:

5- It is FUN!

Thanks for the info

Clay Hayes and "The Push" both have some great youtube vids

82ndreddevil said:
Thank you guys for the feedback! So I guess my next question is what poundage range is adequate for an elk? Again not looking doing this this upcoming season but I don?t want to buy a bow that I?ll outgrow in a year or two either. Thank u guys again

I would (did) go into this expecting to buy (at least) 2 bows. Buy a cheap samick sage or bear @ 40lbs or less(preferably #35, even if you're pulling 70#+ compound) and really fine tune your form and just enjoy sending arrows. In the meantime start talking and researching bowyers for a reputable builder to deliver everything you want. I pull 70 compound and am hunting w/ 54lb trad give or take. The odds of just going right to a perfect trad hunting bow that you can buy having never shot one is setting yourself up for some headaches. Shoot as much as possible. You're not going to be able to shot 20 arrows 3 days a week and maintain your distance/accuracy like a compound. I wouldn't shoot further than 5yds for several weeks/months after starting either... just shoot, concentrate on form and anchor point and get the fundamentals down.

This is how I got going due to some advice from a very, very respected trad archer. I realized he was much smarter than I on the subject matter so I tend to listen to those people in my older age.

Also..... If it takes off and you love it. You will become much more passionate about trad bows than compounds and you'll likely not be able to stop at just one or two  ;-)

Tradgang is a great resource. Not sure where you're at but they have stickbow rendezvous all over, typically by state.

backcountry_hunter said:
Clay Hayes and "The Push" both have some great youtube vids

82ndreddevil said:

I would (did) go into this expecting to buy (at least) 2 bows. Buy a cheap samick sage or bear @ 40lbs or less(preferably #35, even if you're pulling 70#+ compound) and really fine tune your form and just enjoy sending arrows. In the meantime start talking and researching bowyers for a reputable builder to deliver everything you want. I pull 70 compound and am hunting w/ 54lb trad give or take. The odds of just going right to a perfect trad hunting bow that you can buy having never shot one is setting yourself up for some headaches. Shoot as much as possible. You're not going to be able to shot 20 arrows 3 days a week and maintain your distance/accuracy like a compound. I wouldn't shoot further than 5yds for several weeks/months after starting either... just shoot, concentrate on form and anchor point and get the fundamentals down.

This is how I got going due to some advice from a very, very respected trad archer. I realized he was much smarter than I on the subject matter so I tend to listen to those people in my older age.

Also..... If it takes off and you love it. You will become much more passionate about trad bows than compounds and you'll likely not be able to stop at just one or two  ;-)

Tradgang is a great resource. Not sure where you're at but they have stickbow rendezvous all over, typically by state.

Really good advice thank you. I actually remember Chuck Adams talking bout the same method of practice. He said staff at 3 yards, when you hit the bulls eye take a step back and repeat. Difinately smarter method than just being all over the place at 20 yards.

Lots of great advise already posted! My add would be to attend large Traditional Only 3D shoots that have bowyer venders that let you shoot demonstrater bows. You will get a good feel for poundage and bow length without having to spend $ just to find what you like.
My longbow draws 45lbs @28in. And 53lbs at my draw length of 32in. It sends a full length 340 spine 565 grain arrow at 186ft per sec. enough for through and through at 30yrds on elk.

Almost forgot to mention that you will love carrying a trad bow in the woods as they next to nothing compared to a compound bow

I shoot a custom recurve that pulls #47 at 29? for whitetail deer and #52 for elk w big heavy arrows and two blade broadheads

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back