Stashing Water

wyomagic

Jul 30, 2016
So if you were to go stash water near where you are going to set up camp in the back country would you take large jugs or smaller bottles of water?

Personally I'd take larger verse small.

A few reason why for me:
- Less trash to bring back down
- The larger the bottle the longer it takes to freeze (if you are in those conditions)
- Less of a gaggle in your pack (I.E 3 liter bottles verse 12 20 oz bottles)

I think my go to sizes would be liter and gallon bottles.
If you have something like a fiftyfifty container or nalgene, then I'd be bringing up gallons or 2.5 gallon jugs and just filling up my containers.

Howdy.  I'm with DTP on the larger size takes longer to freeze.  For me, I take a collapsible 4 liter jug to keep in camp (or nearby in your case). To fill it, I hike to the nearest stream, fill it up, and hike it back to camp. This is usually a short distance because I am not usually going to be too far from a water source. Then I can purify it usually a liter (or so) at a time. I built a purifying system that works well. I have 2 Platypus type bags with their tubes and a flow filter between them. I put water in the top bag, hang it to a tree or similar to let the water run down through the filter and into the bottom bag. Purified water! I attached a picture of it and the case I put it in to pack in.

Attachments

• IMG_20170827_114134.jpg
    IMG_20170827_114134.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170827_114632.jpg
    IMG_20170827_114632.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10
We stash jugs of store bought water. Wrap them up in a cheap came tarp.

My friends have a large cache up in the mountains above LA for our opener next week. 20 gallons they say. Coming out, we string them up on a line and bring them back out crushed down.

I have had to pack in a few gallons at times. Easier to pack in and less trash.  DTP hit it on the head.

Last year I purchased some of the kitchen grade 6 gallon jugs and filled them with water. I think they were about $8-$10 each. We packed in 8 of them about four miles from the truck and stashed them. We did this over the course of 2 scouting trips (myself and three others). Sucked at the time, but it made the hunt much more enjoyable. It was more water than we knew what to do with. I highly suggest larger storage capacity and kitchen grade containers. Oh yeah, we buried them up to the caps too... ;D

Thanks for the tips!  Going to be headed out this weekend to get everything set up for the big trip next month.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back