String loops - worth it?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
Every magazine seems to run articles on how good string loops are, but I have been to two pro-shops now (one when I got my bow, and last year when I had it tuned up) where they said they really are just a personal preference.  I have a pretty short draw length 27 1/4 and don't want to lose draw length for no reason. What are your experiences - do they really help are they worth it?

Yes it is a personal  preference but some preferences work better than others.I love mine,it prevents an up or down pressure on the knock.and if that 1/4 in of draw length is important to you than get a 1/4 in shorter trigger.they also prevent wear on your string from lots of practice.Just  my opinion!!!

Definitely worth it. Also, go get a Scott Silverhorn release. You will be able to increase your draw length another inch or so.

turbo1967 said:
Yes it is a personal  preference but some preferences work better than others.I love mine,it prevents an up or down pressure on the knock.and if that 1/4 in of draw length is important to you than get a 1/4 in shorter trigger.they also prevent wear on your string from lots of practice.Just  my opinion!!!
Concure 100%!  You will lose a bit of draw length, but by going to a SpotHogg Wise guy or Scott Silverhorn you will gain that back.  Basically look for a release with a forward or middle trigger.
The only true disadvantage to a D-Loop is you may have to replace it.  By using the highest quality BCY D-Loop material I have gotten 2 years out of a d-loop on my main bow (8,000-10,000 shots).  The only reason I changed it was because I sold the bow.  Adavantages include: No to minimal string torque, minimal to no string wear, release inline with arrow, more consistant anchor angle, etc.

I have shot with a string loop for 10 years, and it is a personal preference I based my choice on a couple of things.
First, it greatly reduces string wear. replacing a sting loop is a lot less expense and hassell.
Second, I have eliminated those stupid elastic surgical slap-ya-in-the-face peep sight alignment tubes My nock loop aligns the peep.

D loops have nothing to do with draw length. Your bow at fulldraw is the draw length of that bow. Your anchor point will change with a D loop, but not your draw length. If your bows draw length is 29", you still pull the bow back to 29" with a D loop. You may anchor at your cheek without one  and with one you may anchor behind you ear. The bow still comes to full draw regardless.

PREZ said:
D loops have nothing to do with draw length. Your bow at fulldraw is the draw length of that bow. Your anchor point will change with a D loop, but not your draw length. If your bows draw length is 29", you still pull the bow back to 29" with a D loop. You may anchor at your cheek without one  and with one you may anchor behind you ear. The bow still comes to full draw regardless.
You are right  however it can modify  your draw length ,for example if your draw is 29 in and you have a bow with 28 1/2 in draw you can put on a 1/2 loop and shoot as 29 in.most common used for teens as they start to out grow a bow.It is best to anchor in the same spot so if you change the length of your  release or add a loop you will need to modify your draw length or change your bow.

I understand what you mean as to keeping your anchor in the same spot. Just had a conversation about this the other day with a buddy of mine....he was saying if you have a longer loop you will gain fps.....lol

Thanks everyone. True about draw length. I guess what I mean is I don't want to change my anchor point, so either have to change the release length or shorten the bows draw length. I think I'll give the loop a try, I go through strings every two years, if I got another year out of it, that sure would be nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back