String question

Bigggcountry

Jul 26, 2013
How often to you change your string? I shoot 10-15 arrows everyday. I try to take care of it and  I wax it when it needs it. What should I be looking for to know when it's time to change it

It depends on a lot of factors. Material,build quality, how much it is abused and taken care of, and also how much you shoot. I typically get 1-2 years from a bow string. I never let them go to the point I know I need a new string, I don't want to risk it breaking. I Wax mine often,and try not to let anything hit it. If it starts to fray alot, and if any strands are broke, then its time to replace! I run Proline Streak freak strings on by Bowtech Experience. The shoot great, great customer service and warranty. They are Top Notch!

I love a idea another hunter on the forums here shared with me. I'm sorry i don't recall the username. He cleaned the old wax off his string before putting new wax on. He simply wraped dental floss around the string and ran i down the string. Reapply wax and you've got a clean string. Does this actually work, who knows, but it would sure make me think my bow string would last longer!

Micarden3 said:
I love a idea another hunter on the forums here shared with me. I'm sorry i don't recall the username. He cleaned the old wax off his string before putting new wax on. He simply wraped dental floss around the string and ran i down the string. Reapply wax and you've got a clean string. Does this actually work, who knows, but it would sure make me think my bow string would last longer!

Just found the mastermind behind this idea, We can all Thank Ruttin for ths idea!

I've been doing it for a while, can't remember where I learned it. I shoot quite a few arrows every year and I can usually get 4 years out of my strings, don't know if the way I take care of my string has anything to do with it. It seems after the second year I don't have as many problems with having to retime everything as often too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always waxed my whole sting, anything I can access. My question would be ,are you suppose to wax the servings? or just the exposed string fibers? Thanks!

New to this site, 1st reply,
Waxing is not necessary on serving, especially not on end serving where the wax can get in cam tracks an pick up dirt.
Good strings usually last me 3 - 4 yrs, but I don't shoot as much as I used to.

Inseason said:
New to this site, 1st reply,
Waxing is not necessary on serving, especially not on end serving where the wax can get in cam tracks an pick up dirt.
Good strings usually last me 3 - 4 yrs, but I don't shoot as much as I used to.

Is there a reason wax is unnecessary on the serving?

it can gum up your cams and draws dust so if you just wax up to the edge of your servings your doing yourself a favor

Is there a reason wax is unnecessary on the serving?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back