Stroke of good luck, and looking for advice.

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
Got a call the other day from a long lost buddy who joined the army when we left high school.  After his commitment to the armed forces he took a job guiding tourists through Yellowstone NP and is moving to Bozeman MT soon.  He gave me a call cause he heard I settled in MT as well.  He informed me further that he has horses and mules and would like to do some back country archery hunting this fall. 

So here's my question to those of you with experience.  Where would you put in your permits?  I'm really open to input here because I typically only hunt public land areas.  Any and all direction would be appreciated.  Thanks.

In all honesty, I'd stay public ground, and hunt the back country units.  Montana's permitting draw system has become so convoluted it's unreal.  Use the horses and mules & get in deep.

I agree, just find a good public unit and just get back in as far as you go. Look for any wilderness also to hunt. Most people only go in within a mile so five + miles should do you good.

Honestly that was my intuition as well.  I have a lot of area to hunt around here where having mules or horses would make a huge difference.  I think I'm going to encourage him to explore the bob marshall with me.  I backpack in there a lot and have always wanted to spend about a week back there in Sept.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back