Success Question

bstiger

Oct 26, 2018
Guy's question and your opinion.  With the Elk University, Born and Raised, Randy N etc.. all outlining there playbooks if you will, the success rate is still to be10% or less. In your opinion, with all this information, what are people doing or NOT doing that is limiting there success?

The answer is easy...

Elk aint hard to kill. They are easy to miss :)

But in all seriousness, I think many underestimate how hard elk hunting really is.
Long days, short nights, exhaustion, mentally toughness [lack of]

Another factor is 90% keep jumping around unit to unit and never get to really get to learn the ins and outs of spots.

Look at the technology curve in hunting since the early 80's. Everything that could make something easier to hit an animal and kill it with either gun or bow that's been created since then. All the latest and greatest calls and strategies and yet the success rates stay about the same.

cnelk was on point, I think the answer is two fold, the person behind the weapon and seasonal conditions. There are some people that hunt elk successfully once or twice and never do it again, those blow my mind but for the most part is the mental and physical challenge that people can't overcome. Most people won't/can't put in the effort.

Seasonal Conditions, when you have to pick 5-7 days in most states or have them pick those for you odds are not every hunt will hit during "ideal conditions". If the elk aren't there at that time where did they go to and why? Figure an area out.

It's just like in the free gear poll, it amazes me the people that believe their odds of killing an elk are so low. Maybe it's the competitor in me but I firmly believe I'm going to kill an elk in New Mexico and 1 OTC in Colorado this Fall because I know I'll do whatever it takes to put myself in that position. I don't know that I would put in all the effort if I really believed I only had a 10% chance of killing one. Part of overcoming the mental challenge is knowing it only takes a few seconds for the "worst hunt ever" to turn into the "best hunt ever". Every morning I get up I tell myself those seconds are going to happen today and I'm going to take advantage of them.

Well that sounds more like a rant than an answer. I may not kill an elk this Fall but it won't be from a lack of belief or effort.

Great point. From my perspective the difference between success and not being successful boils down to not giving up. The timing will never be perfect, the weather will always be changing. Take the time to learn your hunting area, be willing to change your plan, go all in, and your odds will improve. Learn from every hunt and use the knowledge to sharpen your skills and never, never, ever give up.

I would say the main factor is simply that elk hunting is tough and always will be. You can have all the answers to the test so-to-speak, but you have to be willing to put in the work. And even then, nothing is guaranteed. There are very few people I know who kill elk on a consistent basis, and even those that do have an off year every once in awhile and don?t fill their tag.

In a way, I?m opposite of sjl2012. I looked at the free gear Friday poll and, in my opinion, most people think their odds of killing an elk are way better than they really are. Then they get in the elk woods and get punched in the mouth and don?t know how to react. When the going gets tough, it?s a lot easier to sleep in, head home early, etc.

Great question by the way. I?m going to throw that one out there on our Instagram and Facebook page to get more answers for you.

^^^ Right on Derek

Even Mike Tyson has it right "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back