Suggestions for a new headlamp?

overthetop

Dec 31, 2012
I have been using a petzl tikka plus for the past 8 years, and I'm looking at getting a new headlamp. I know I want a lamp that uses traditional batteries i.e. (AA or AAA). I'm looking for the best function for the money. Thanks.

Zebra lights, no personal experience but will be my next purchase.

http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html

might not be a popular choice with some of the guys but I am pleased with the Energizer LED headlamps.  My Petzl is now junk, and the Energizer has kept GOING AND GOING AND...well you get the idea.  Great price, bright, and has 6 modes too. 

Reedjj said:
Zebra lights, no personal experience but will be my next purchase.

http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html

Agree that Zebra Lights are getting lots of love as being super bright and well made.  Cost is up there and some versions require special batteries that are rechargeable.  When the Lumen power is 600, it makes you pause compared to 200.....

After looking at headlamps for about a year I ended up going with the princeton tec apex.  I looked at zebra, fenix, black diamond, and many others and the apex had the best all around in terms of brightness and battery life

well i got my apex today and I am very impressed. incredibly bright, very user friendly with two selection buttons for the five modes, and it tilts which is huge.  i love this thing

I have been using the Energizer LED headlamp from walmart. it uses AAA batteries, gives off good light, lightweight, small, and last forever. I used mine for almost 2-weeks at elk camp, all of PA archery season, Checking traps every morning for 2-weeks, and it is still good with the same 2 batteries. I think it was $7 or so, the only negative I have is the switch. it will slide on in my pack. I put a piece of duct tape on it to keep it in position. It also has a red LED that I like for getting into stands.

I love the LENSER H7 LED lamp because it is super bright, has an adjustable strength and you can adjust width of the coverage. I reviewed one this last year and quite honestly it's the only headlamp I use now.

It may be a bit over board but I have used it for multiple things and absolutely love it.
Tucking the cord inside one layer of clothing is a must though, annoying if it starts to catch on things.

I used to use some of my nicer lights from my old caving days but the last couple years I've used the Energizer 6 led from walmart. For the 16.99 dollar price tag they've been excellent lamps. I have one for hunting, wrenching and trapping and they always work great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back