Summer range vs Summer Concentration Range

Mad_Angler

Aug 26, 2015
Hello,

I\'m having a great time exploring on the Colorado Hunting Atlas put out by Colorado Parks and Wildlife:
http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

It will show various elk ranges. (Map layers and legends window and expand \"Game Species\" tab). I have been looking at Summer Ranges and Summer Concentration ranges.

For an archery elk hunt (Lets say 2-3 week). How much stock should I put in their data? Should I believe it 100% and only hunt in Summer Concentration Ranges? Should I put some stock in it and only hunt Summer Range?

How do they estimate these ranges?

From the data I have researched on there, its pretty close, close enough to make a game plan.

The CPW does a lot of flying for herd count, hunter camps and other data research.

I would also look at the migration routes as even hunting pressure can set off a migration, not just weather.

\"cnelk\" said:
From the data I have researched on there, its pretty close, close enough to make a game plan. ...

I\'m not sure I understand. For an archery hunt, are elk ONLY in the \"summer concentration range\"?

Should I focus all my scouting and hunting on just summer concentration ranges?
or is \"Summer Range\" good enough?

\"Mad_Angler\" said:
\"cnelk\" said:
From the data I have researched on there, its pretty close, close enough to make a game plan. ...

I\'m not sure I understand. For an archery hunt, are elk ONLY in the \"summer concentration range\"?

Should I focus all my scouting and hunting on just summer concentration ranges?
or is \"Summer Range\" good enough?

Tim, for my area(s), you would have to consider the entire Summer Range, the concentration areas are not the only place there are good elk numbers.

The area that I hunt now does not show a consentration close to us but has good numbers of elk around. I would not hesitate to look at areas that just show summer range.

Tim,

The definitions used by CPW are as follows--

ElkSummerConcentrationArea--This dataset represents those areas where elk concentrate from mid-June through mid-August. High quality forage, security, and lack of disturbance are characteristics of these areas to meet the high energy demands of lactation, calf rearing, antler growth, and general preparation for the rigors of fall and winter.

ElkSummerRange--This dataset represents that part of the overall range of elk where 90% of the individuals are located between spring green-up and the first heavy snowfall, or during a site specific period of summer as defined for each Data Analysis Unit. Summer range is not necessarily exclusive of winter range; in some areas winter range and summer range may overlap.

In the map, the red areas are the summer concentration areas and the orange are the summer ranges.

Attachments

• Summer Concentration.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 138
Another thing to look at is of your area has a \"resident elk concentration\'
That is a gold mine if you do

To follow up on what Brad mentioned--

ElkResidentPopulationArea--This dataset represents Elk Resident Population Areas which are defined as an area used year-round by a population of elk. Individuals could be found in any part of the area at any time of the year; the area cannot be subdivided into seasonal ranges. It is most likely included within the overall range of the larger population.

Attachments

• Resident.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 133

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back