Super tuning

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
I finally got some time to start shooting and been trying different vane arraignments and comparing the fmj 340 to 400\'s and don\'t really see a difference. My shoulder is not up to par yet and my muscles have lost a lot but am shooting ok, but not where I need to be.
Several arrows fishtailed but it\'s never the same arrow so is my bow tuning or my form? so I tried something I\'ve never done before- bare shaft tuning.

Ho-LE-Cow. Fully expecting to bend the first couple arrows, my first 5 shots consistently were nock down and nock left. I made a very small vertical adjustment and cut the nock down in about 1/2.
Then I started to look into the nock left but decided to change my grip ever so slightly for a few shots.
This was the tattle tail on me, it was amazing to see the huge difference that the slight grip change makes with my bow. Just a grip change sends them right or left, and it\'s consistent when I do this. There is very little vertical nock difference on any of my shots but left to right can vary tremendously just from the grip change. I\'m no bow expert, but seems like the tuning is really close on this bow but my form needs work.
Not sure why I posted this other than to emphasize the importance of consistency in grip.
BTW so far all my fmj arrows are still true!

i used to think super tuning was a bunch of hooey.

but now, not so much. since i jumped to a bow with two cams..super tune makes perfect sense. i have NEVER seen a draw board in any bow shop. i think a super tuner taking the time to make sure cables and strings are perfect length and cams are perfectly sync\'d.. is very super tuney.

i dont blame a bowshop anymore. i cannot imagine that make any money if they take the time to go to such great lengths with each and every bow they sell.

good job, bob. i cannot bareshaft..my grip is not that consistent. but the arrows do hit with my fletched shafts..just not perfect aligned.

Yes I\'ve noticed quite a variance in my accuracy depending on form and grip has a lot to do with it. For me it\'s almost always a too tight grip. I haven\'t shot a compound since 2009 and am still learning to shoot again.

Grip, grip, grip! The bow hand controls everything, so it has to be consistent. Very good observations about how a little change in grip can drastically affect arrow flight. It\'s probably going to be a lot more noticeable with a bare shaft than with a fletched arrow, but if you can fix it now you will be shooting darts later.

Modern bows have made it difficult for the average guy to work on them. Parallel and past parallel limb designs, long risers and short limbs call for special presses and they\'re definitely not cheap. I can still press my old bows in my old Apple press and tune everything myself. But for the new stuff, you\'re at the mercy of the pro shops or a good friend with the right equipment to get your bow into perfect specs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back