Superstitions

WapitiKing

Jun 7, 2013
Alright I'm not a superstitious person, and I know consistently being successful in the elk woods comes down to plain old time and hard work,  but there are a few things I've found elk hunting that seem to defy the odds and help find elk when nothing else can.  For instance, it seems I am almost guaranteed to get into elk if I listen to Dwight Yoakam the morning before the hunt (can't believe I just gave away my biggest elk hunting secret).  Needless to say I have almost every Dwight album now and I never even used to like country music. So, when the elk are being stubborn and nothing seems to go right, what do you guys turn to????

I know what I don't turn to .... bananas.  Never take them fishing .... and now never hunting.  NEVER.

I carry a hand carved Zuni stone fetish of a badger. For tenacity the hunter needs. Good luck according to the hunter/carver who gave it to me. I do see way more animals it seems.....

what ever I listen to I better like it cause I will play it over  in my head a thousand times before the day is over and I usually only remember 1 line. :(

I have to listen to Travis Tritt "it's a great day to be alive" on the way to my spot. Have to make sure I put on my camo after I get to my spot also.

I wouldnt call it a superstition for me but more of a ritual. My hunting buddies and I will crank some awesome country music to get us stoaked on the way up the hill. That's how country boys roll!!

I don't shave the whole hunt  :mad: , I bring my mountain man juice  :p ( BV & blackberry brandy) and I jam "blue sky" by the Allman bros. 8)

Since my first elk hunt in the jungles of N ID, stepping out into the dark unknown and climbing up through the devils club choked creek bottoms in the predawn hours I've always played Bleeding Me from Metallica on my ipod.  It just puts me into that predator zone and gets me focused on that ole bull that lives somewhere up on the mountain that has survived against the elements and many hazards and the hope that I'm able to finally outwit him and that he falls to my well placed arrow on the hunt.

Great tune Big Tex!  I listened to that song prior to every football game my senior year of high school.  We ended up winning the WIAA Division III Title that year, so maybe I will have to load that baby up on the iPhone prior to leaving. 

This is my first year of elk hunting so I don't have any traditions yet, but I think Big Tex is on to something.  Would it be bad mojo to piggy back on somebody's superstition?  Maybe I will have to revert to making my own. 

I'm not superstitious in the least but I do make sure to have my lucky horseshoe in my pack and I sure seem to kill more animals when I'm wearing my lucky pants and shirt!

I have 4 aluminum meat hooks for hanging quarters in camp.  I get them out once camp is all set-up and hang them on the meat rack pole.

When the hunt isn't going my way. I turn off the GPS, I don't look at maps or a compass and I go get lost. Works every time...80% of the time. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back