Sw colorado option

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
Im entertaining the thought of renting a cabin in the durango area so the wife and pups can have a place to stay while I run up and down the mountains blowing cow calls.

any thought on the area and the idea of this?

I think it surrounded by units 75,76 and 741.  Ill be bow hunting and tend to like thicker dark timber, any votes on which of these units would suit my style?

Am not stuck on SW CO, it was just one that I found an affordable cabin that I thought the wife and dogs would be safe while I did my thing.

There was another up near craig but the GMU I was looking at was a good bit away unit 24 or maybe 12.  12 looked to have a lot of private though.

Bob Frapples said:
Im entertaining the thought of renting a cabin in the durango area so the wife and pups can have a place to stay while I run up and down the mountains blowing cow calls.

any thought on the area and the idea of this?

I think it surrounded by units 75,76 and 741.  Ill be bow hunting and tend to like thicker dark timber, any votes on which of these units would suit my style?

Am not stuck on SW CO, it was just one that I found an affordable cabin that I thought the wife and dogs would be safe while I did my thing.

There was another up near craig but the GMU I was looking at was a good bit away unit 24 or maybe 12.  12 looked to have a lot of private though.

I don't know anything about the area, but I think the idea is awesome.
I've always wanted to do something similar, but on either an antelope or whitetail hunt.

With all of these new websites and apps, you may even be able to find a place you can hunt right out the front door.

Check out homeaway.com or even trip advisor.
I don't know how to use airbnb, but that's another one that's become very popular.

Some friends of mine have a house in South Fork that is available for short term rental. Further east, between 76 & 80.

I certainly think it could work. We did that a long time ago and the one thing I would tell you is to be sure to get a place as close as possible to where you want to hunt. It's easy to end up with an hour drive if you are mainly hitting four wheel drive trails. And adding an hour to the morning and evening definitely leads to less sleep.

The other thing is make sure your wife is on board and understands that she isn't really going to see you. Assume you are gone before 5:00am, don't come back for lunch because it's a bit of a drive, and then return after dark, there isn't a lot of time spent together.

Another thing you could consider, depending on how much time you have available, is to rent the place and you go out and hunt with a camp for a couple days, then come back and spend a day with the wife, then go back out. Could be a way to compromise?

Just some things to consider!

The wife understands that ill be gone a lot but she just wants to get away.  Am hoping to go out and find a place to make 2-4 day bivy loops then head back to visit the wife, take a shower and maybe wash clothes before doing it again.

found a place near unit 28 that sounds good but the dates there would be perfect for and early hunt opening day to around sep 8th.  this would be ok but id like to hit the rut better.  my NM trip was early both years and the action was definitely ramping up towards my end of hunt times.  Granted Im not expecting near the vocal action in an OTC CO unit as I got in NM.

jstephens61  Is the house your friends have in town or out, also have to find a place that will allow pets, another headache in itself but i can't leave my buddy behind.

Bob, it?s in town, but South Fork is a very small town. Not sure about a dog, but they have one in the house so I wouldn?t think it?d be an issue. There?s things for the wife to do just a short drive away.
Are hunting archery or gun season. I?ll be in the area 2nd gun season.

will be bow hunting, if it works out and the wife goes will probably be there 16-20 days depending on punching a tag.  am flexible on the dates, but would like to catch the rut and this year the moon will be better toward the middle of Sep so that is what I'm thinking now.

Ive found a couple reasonable places but they are in units that I didn't like the stats of.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back