Swapping arrows

Bob Frapples

Mar 10, 2014
I\'m looking to do an antelope hunt this year and considering getting another dove tail sight use for the lighter arrows.

I\'m currently set up with FMJ 340s with 125 gr heads and still have plenty of 400 FMJs and 100gr head. I\'m shooting a Hoyt carbon spyder at 67#

I still have my AM 32 but was contemplating selling it as they feel totally different, just wondering you guys thoughts.

The only drawback I can think of is maybe a slight tunning issue as the 400 is just a tad larger in diameter if I recall correctly. I\'d don\'t however remember moving the rest when I swapped to the heeavier arrow/tip combo.

One way to find out. Shoot one.

I bet it changes just a little. You can put a light sharpie mark and gang slide the sight ring up.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

JMHO but I\'d stick with the 340s at that poundage. If you want to lighten up a bit, you could use the 100 gr. heads on the 340 arrows. You\'d save yourself 25 gr. But I doubt that you would see much difference.

You didn\'t mention your draw length but at the bow weight of 67#, I would think 400s would be under spined.

Thomas, what is your reasoning for going with a lighter arrow? Just a flatter trajectory?

Basically, yes, I know the speed goat is a less tough than an elk or deer I presume, but most articles i read suggest a fast arrow due to the quickness of the critter and the probability of longer shots. The heavier arrow should be a little quieter but I\'m not sure if that is as noticable with the carbon bow but it did quiet down my alpha max 32 going to the heavier arrow.

Never tried lope hunting so not sure if it is worth doing, i would think hunting a water hole this won\'t matter, but Id rather stalk hunt if terrain allows.

My draw length is 28.5\", when I shot the 400 I used the 100gr heads. I never checked the speed different between the 400 and the 340\'s. When i got the CS 30 I got a new sight IQ sight and only pin out to 70 yards. With the alpha max i practiced out to 80 yards. and has a special order Hogg It 7 pin sight.

I was kinda curious if anyone had had any luck sighting in two sights with different arrows and swapping back and forth.

I am newer to this, so take it for what it\'s worth, but I would just stick with what you\'ve got. I don\'t think you will pick up enough speed that it will be noticeable. If I were you, I\'d rather stick with what I\'m comfortable with and what I know works. Just my two cents...

I have done it and it\'s a PITA.

The amount of speed gained is marginal for the reward.

If it were me, I would add a couple pins and practice out to further distances.
You always turn up your bow and get more speed there too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back