Take the shot? Or not...

Bullnuts

Mar 6, 2014
Time for a little fun. I was going through my old wildlife photos and thought it would be fun to see who would take the shot and who would not! Look closely, some of these shots are a little tricky!
#1 - 35 yards, compound bow. Your heart is beating a rhumba in your ears and your knees are shaking!
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->bull.wclaspell.12-10-12.JPG<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]

#2- 28 yards, compound bow. You\'ve been messing with this guy all morning and he finally came in! Just as you start to draw, though, he becomes suspicious, turns, and heads back the other way. A quick cow call stops him in his tracks.
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->DSC03076.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

#3 -60 yards, muzzleloader. You have a doe tag and you\'re just hoping to put a deer in the freezer!
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->deer.wclaspell.3-7-08.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• bull.wclaspell.12-10-12.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC03076.JPG
    DSC03076.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 487
  • deer.wclaspell.3-7-08.JPG
    deer.wclaspell.3-7-08.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 487
#4 - 150 yard, .300 Win Mag. Last day of the season and this is the first buck you\'ve seen!
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->DSC02241.JPG<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]

#5 - 70 yards, 30-30 Winchester! You borrowed grandpa\'s deerslayer for this hunt and this big boy just jumped out of his bed! Better hurry!
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->DSC03853.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

#6 - 90 yards, .270 Winchester. If I\'m lucky I can probably sneak one in!
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->DSC03856.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• DSC03856.JPG
    DSC03856.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC03853.JPG
    DSC03853.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC02241.JPG
    DSC02241.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 486
#7 - 30 yards, compound bow. It\'s the last day of a long season and FINALLY, you\'re covered up in elk!
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->IMG_0115.JPG<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]

#8 - 56 yards, compound bow. Holy Smacks! You\'re heading back to the truck after a morning hunt, round a corner, and find this dude laying in the middle of an opening. There\'s no cover for a stalk and he pretty much has you pegged.
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->6X6.wclaspell.10-6-08.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

#9 - 12 feet, slingshot. This thing has been chattering at you all day. Seems he may have actually called in some friends and they are working in shifts now, giving you crap. You have your wrist rocket and a zip lock full of ball bearings. Squirrel season is open!
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->DSC02863.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 6X6.wclaspell.10-6-08.JPG
    6X6.wclaspell.10-6-08.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC02863.JPG
    DSC02863.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 486
NO

Where is my knife? Im gonna need it

NO
As much as I like eating WT, theres a good chance you will have 2 dead deer

NO

Bang

NO

NO
Could be a spike - need to see the head

Good thing I sharpened my knife from #2

Nothing better than knockin those chatterin basstuds outta the tree...

I would agree with all of Brad\'s except #4...if you look close, there is plenty of room to get at least a high shoulder shot. There are a couple of pieces of grass there, but nothing too drastic. From 150 yards, I\'m pulling the trigger on that one.

Could kill #4, for sure ... yet the sky-lined shot does deserve a little consideration. I won\'t say I never would take a skylined shot, but I\'d have to be very sure of what was over that hill, and beyond that buck.

#1 is a \"no\" ... He\'s likely to give a better angle soon.

#2 is a \"yes\"

#3 is a \"no\" ... they\'ll give you a shot soon, but it\'s not now.

#5 and #6 ... \"no\" ... I don\'t think I could take either on unwounded animals.

#7 ... sure ... where I hunt, any elk is legal with archery tackle

#8 is a \"maybe\" ... at that yardage, I have to see how it \"feels\", though on my good days, it\'s well within my range. My good days, though, don\'t usually include the adrenalin of seeing those antlers.

#9 ... is a \"no\". Killing one isn\'t going to silence the woods.

I\'m not nearly as deadly with a sling shot as I am with my arrow slinger, but it sure does make me feel better to send one of those psychotic little buggers scampering. BTW, how is it that I can brush a pine tree and be covered in sap but these things live in the pines, are covered with fur, and don\'t have any tar on them? They should be so sticky they can\'t move!

1-no, gonna wait
2-you bet!
3-nope
4-nope
5-not thru the brush... He\'ll take a step.
6-wait till he stands
7-nope. Multiple animals too close together. With a pass thru, you probably will have a second animal to deal with.
8- nope, gonna wait for him to stand also.
9- probably couldn\'t hit him, but bet I could make him change locations.

In 2006, I shot this bull in his bed at about 6 yards.
I was still hunting thru the timber and had an arrow knocked as I smelled elk.
The wind was perfect and I came around a small pine and saw him laying there looking at me.
I drew and smacked him. He started to get up and knocked another arrow and shot him again.
He didnt try to get up again

Attachments

• 06_Archery Bull4.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 442
1)Nope, He is moving. Let him get closer and hit him with a nervous bark, then hammer him.
2)Yes, I can see he is a 6pt. through the tree limbs.
3)Nope
4)Sure! Right under the jaw line in the center of the neck. An easy shot with a good rest.
5)No
6)nope
7)Probably not unless I saw him before his head was behind all that brush and could determine if he is legal. If legal, it\'s game on!
8)No! Just too far. If I can\'t get closer than 56 yards, I\'ll pass every time. The name of the game, for me, when it comes to bowhunting is \"Get Close\"
9)LOL! I don\'t worry about them too much. After all, they chatter at elk also, or anything else that moves.

\"Buglemaster\" said:
1-no, gonna wait
2-you bet!
3-nope
4-nope
5-not thru the brush... He\'ll take a step.
6-wait till he stands
7-nope. Multiple animals too close together. With a pass thru, you probably will have a second animal to deal with.
8- nope, gonna wait for him to stand also.
9- probably couldn\'t hit him, but bet I could make him change locations.

I\'m with Dave on these...except I\'m gonna ring that squirrel\'s bell with a ball bearing!

1. No
2. Yes
3. Probably, define ML? 340 gr Power Belt with 150 gr powder or .50 cal RB and 65 gr BP? They\'re staring at you, won\'t give you another shot.
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. No, yes If it knew it was legal.
8. Yes
9. If I was bored!

\"sojourner65\" said:
1. No
2. Yes
3. Probably, define ML? 340 gr Power Belt with 150 gr powder or .50 cal RB and 65 gr BP? They\'re staring at you, won\'t give you another shot.
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. No, yes If it knew it was legal.
8. Yes
9. If I was bored!

As to #3. You have no concern about shooting two deer with your shot?

Yes I do. It happened to me one time, the 2nd deer was smaller and stood behind the other one, on a slight uphill. Fortunately I had two doe tags. I just saying that with a patched roundball, out of a flintlock, 65 grains of powder, it is extremely unlikely to get a pass through. Now, if you\'re talking modern ML\'s, no, I wouldn\'t take that shot.

It\'s possible for the PRB to go through with the light powder charge. It\'s not going to expand as much as with a heavy charge, but it\'s unlikely to not hit some bone at that angle. I\'d still probably wait for a clearer shot. You never know.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
It\'s possible for the PRB to go through with the light powder charge. It\'s not going to expand as much as with a heavy charge, but it\'s unlikely to not hit some bone at that angle. I\'d still probably wait for a clearer shot. You never know.

I\'d probably miss both of them anyway! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back