Takes some guts.....

Don K

Mar 31, 2014
I live on a dead end street and my property butts up against a nature preserve that the county owns. There is no hunting what so ever allowed in there and its basically next to a subdivision. Every year I have decent bucks up in the yard around this time, and some does bed down in my lot next to the house. Last weekend I had a really, really nice buck walk behind the house (probably 160ish) and head into the preserve and he was limping really bad. So Thursday I got home from work early and decided to take a walk out there to see if I can find some sheds, maybe a deadhead, or see if this buck was around. I jumped this buck he runs fine, just limps while walking and I see 4 others and they where all still carrying their racks. I make a 3 mile loop and work back to my house when Im about 100 yards from my house I spot a ladder stand. Here sits a ladder stand 100 yards from my house, Illegal as all heck, and looking it over it has been put up there for a couple seasons. I see branches that where cut this year, and some that are well over a year old. I can see this stand off my deck if I have my bino\'s as my house sits on a hill. If I was on my deck I could see anyone walking to this stand with the leaves off the trees.

I was really ticked off. My first thought was I was going to get my sawzall and cut this thing into small pieces and leave it in a pile. Second thought was to tear it down and throw it away. Third thought was to hang my trail camera hidden somewhere to see who it is. I was also concerned that if this was found someone would think it was me as I have archery targets in my yard.

After discussing this with my wife and son they talked some sense into me and asked me to not get involved and call it in. I called the conservation officer and two of them showed up last night and looked over the stand. They where really nice, very happy that I contacted them, and will be taking care of the problem.

I just hope they catch the poacher....... :evil:

Im trying to figure out where this guy could park or walk from, and what he would do if he shot a deer.

Nothing wrong with putting a trail cam in that vicinity and see just what pics you gets :)
Deer or otherwise

I think I would have kept quiet and checked the stand every morning with the binos. When you see someone in there call it in.

I\'m thinking of Brads Idea and tossing my trail camera out there. Probably see if I can get it of the ground high, hidden pointing down.

Just because you found a tree stand does not mean someone is hunting. Maybe it is a wildlife photographer. We all jump to conclusions without facts.

You did good by reporting it.

Hang your trail cam and get some \"Wildlife\" pics. Who knows what you might see :twisted:

Your season closed on the 15th if I am not mistaken. You might have to wait till next year to see the \"illusive camo bowhunter\" you hope to a pic of. Happy hunting. :shh:

No photograper here. :D

Ladder stand, shooting lanes trimmed, and a bow hanger in the tree and a pull rope for the bow.

I will be keeping a eye on it from now on for sure along with a little camera action.

Funny thing is once the stand was removed the deer have come out of the woodwork. I had 7 does in the yard yesterday

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back