Teach Me

JohnFitzgerald

Mar 31, 2014
Can people share a past calling sequence that worked? Not necessarily lead to a kill but got elk to come in. As season gets closer I love hearing these type of stories.

\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:
Can people share a past calling sequence that worked? Not necessarily lead to a kill but got elk to come in. As season gets closer I love hearing these type of stories.

We were lucky enough to hear two bulls having a vocal battle one morning, and we silently and carefully worked our way in between them, keeping the wind advantage. We managed to get within around 80 yards (just guessing here...we couldn\'t see either of them)

It was my buddy\'s turn to be the shooter, so I sent him out ahead about 30 yards, where he dug in and prepared to make the kill. I popped the elk butt decoy, and started some very aggressive, estrus cow calling.

One of the bulls came unglued... he would call agressively, move toward us, and then move back to defend his cows from the other bull. This went on for a good 15 to 20 minutes, and I just kept agressively pleading with him. His frustration became evident through his tone...finally, I turned away from him, and gave a series of bugles, trying to give the impression of an incoming bull, and immediately followed it up with another excited cow call. He couldn\'t take it anymore, he screamed, and I heard him pound the ground in our direction.

I was unable to witness the shot, but my buddy says he came on a mission. He took him hard quartering in, at less than 10 yards. Turned out to be the most interesting bull we had ever taken. We named him \"Louie\"...because his left side looked like a Louisville Slugger! :D

freakbull.jpg

My encounters aren\'t book sequneces.
I just read a situation and go in with whatever tools I have in my call bag.

I\'ve had a few situations I called stuff in with cow calls only.
Some with just bugles.
Others with all of them!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back