Technology...what has it done for you?

hike2hunt

Dec 30, 2012
I grew up hunting in  heavy wool, jeans, and cotton t-shirts. the one lesson I never ever will forget is to keep the wind in your favor, I knew how to read a map and build a fire from scratch .

Technology has given me the ability to go into the backcountry farther, lighter, and a little safer (mother nature still owns that card).

let's hear it what it's done for you?

I Use a different type of technology for hunting. Google earch has been the most valuable elk hunting tool I have. Living in Pennsylvania, all of my scouting is Via Google earth, and on the ground hunting.

Google Earth and a GPS have increased my success 10 fold. Of course I do carry paper maps in the field as a back up as well.

I would have to say that almost every part  of my hunting has been improved because of technology.  GPS, and google have been great.  But even a cell phone and computer access in rural towns has allowed me to do some mandatory work without having to come all the way home.  Saving me time.

Google earth as everyone else has stated. And last year my buddy had a smart phone and luckily we got reception where we were at and that was amazing to use cause we could see places that looked flatter and more like bedding areas if we saw a heard of elk moving into trees to far to catch up to them.

A good GPS gives you insight that would otherwise take many years to acquire. I like the idea of look at a good topi map to get an idea of where to start looking.

.. It's nice to call my wife and let her know I'm ok when I hunt alone ,which is most the time.. I love google earth

I would add the rangefinder with angle compensation and then the overall technology reflected in my bow and arrow as major enhancements in technology and my hunting.  Also, my bow today is a world apart from my recurve of 35 years ago before there were compounds.  Finally, the technology needed to create Merino wool and lightweight clothing is nothing to shortchange.  Ultimately, what I do today is not my grandfather's elk hunting, and much is due to technology.

Well a cell phone could save your life, and I also now have a portable solar panel for charging it.  google maps for scouting and acquiring topo maps.  modern safety measures like SPOT and InReach.  modern packs make hauling bigger loads and meat much easier.  brighter lights.  smoother drawing more accurate bows and other archery equipment. better boots.  polymer pistols. warm weather and rain gear. camping equipment(stoves, tents, sleeping bags, and pads). better treestands.  I mean the list is literally endless.  technology makes everything better and has greatly improved our capabilities and also makes backcountry trips much safer.

Considering I'm in my twenties, I've come to adapt  over and over again with new and modern products. Technology is a progressive tool to help one over come a difficulty in any situation, thus making this potentially easier. It also has it draw backs, but for the sake of this post I would say that having "modern" camo Sitkas' Optifade, Kuius' Icon pack and trail cameras have certainly become a staple in my hunting arsenal. I enjoy innovate products that increase my potential to be successful! 8)

With my smart phone technology, it is endless.  I have used it as a GPS, camera, checking in with loved ones while hunting, using mapping features.

I wouldn't say that technology has made me a more successful hunter, but maybe at times has made it more enjoyable.  Going into an area for the first time having looked over an aerial image so you know what you're getting into makes it a little more enjoyable.  Being able to communicate with family and friends during the hunt is nice too. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back