Tent? Or bivy?

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
Par for the course, like most of us, I'm trying to keep my pack around 40 lbs. This will be my first elk hunt. I'm considering either the Snugpak Ionsphere bivy. Or, a (1) man tent like the Kelty Salida, Teton Sports quick tent, Alps Lynx or Alps Zephyr. The bivy weighs around 2.5 lbs. Whereas the tents all come in between 3.5 - 4 lbs.

I like the compactness of the bivy, it's easy to set up/take down and the weight factor is huge. I'm not claustrophobic, so that isn't an issue. The convenience, room, and better conditions to be in should the weather turn bad, the tent is definitely the way to go. One positive of the Kelty Salida is when it's packed, it's flat and square. As opposed to, a long, tube like most tents pack.

Which one would you call home in the backcountry....bivy? Tent?

Thanks in advanced.

i just bought the easton kilo carbon and the trail weight is 2lb 3oz, and it's a 2 person tent. haven't had a chance to use it yet but it's really compact. kinda pricey, but i found it on camofire for $200 instead of the regular price of $400

I have the Salida and love it.  I don't notice the slight increase in weight over my bivy when I've hiking in or out...but maybe a little when I'm breaking camp quickly and rushing to get ahead of some elk on the move.  However the weather likes to turn nasty at the drop of a hat all the time on me, so I love that I can quickly throw up my tent and dive in with all my gear.  If the vestibule was a little larger and better suited for cooking, it would be perfect.  I've tried everything from hammocks to light and roomy 3 man tents...and the Salida is all I see myself using anymore (until something else new catches my eye  :D ).

SPOTnSTALK said:
2 man tent is what works on my hunts.

View from outside:
emp_hat-trick2p_fly.jpg

http://www.elk101.com/store/easton-mountain-products-hat-trick-2p-all-season-tent

View from inside:  :D
travel-supreme-river-canyon-fifth-wheel-trailer-2008-interior.jpg

Dude that is hilarious! Living like a champ in the great outdoors. Nice!

A 1 man tent is just barely that, room for 1 man. A 2 man is much or comfortable on rainy days or long nights.

I have both, I have the outdoor research advanced bivy and an rei one man.. there was an article in the past eastmans bhj about not chasing the rabbit. Somethings are worth the weight. Bivy IMHO suck, I sleep horrible in mine, now a tent where  you can move and stash gear inside, works better for me. I pondered a hammock but that seems cold also. Bivy if you're built like a triathlete I'm sure are great, but for me I'm a bigger guy, it's like a cocoon. Every year I try my bivy, and always go back to a tent. Find what works for you. Best of luck

hunt or die

I use both,but would rather spend time in my Kelty Gunnison2.0 tent than cocooned up in the OR Bivy thru downpours/heavy snow.
I use a 3 season, 2 person tent and will carry the extra weight if weather will be foul. I like a full up the wall floor and a fly with vestibules.
But if weather will be decent,chance of light rain or snow, I go with the OR bivy and sil-tarp.

I have a sweet hammock that I use. It's super light takes 1 min to set up and 30 sec to pack up. I bring a nice lightweight sleeping bag and a tarp. Super light works great. I use my old army sleeping system they are light water proof and super warm.

This will be my set up this year. ENO hammock and tarp. 3.2 lbs with rope and aluminum stakes. If i like it might buy rain fly next year to cut down a lb or so. I'll repost after hunt with pro's and con's.

Attachments

• IMG_20150731_162320.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 3
I think it comes down to weather conditions and comfort.  I've been in the back country and been hit with awful and intense weather, so if there's any chance of heavy rain i turn to my tent, which also offers some room for me to roll around and cook inside a vestibule in cruddy conditions.  I do prefer to keep a very lightweight back country pack however so when the weather is good i rock my bivy or a hammock...  My advise, bring it all and make a call when you've done research on weather conditions and feel comfortable. 

this year will be my first using a bivy / tarp setup. i have an or bivy and will be running a jimmys tarp 6 x9 flat tarp. i think the tarp will give you and your gear a little more protection, while only weighing around 7 ounces. looking at going with a bug bivy and a tarp but havent pulled the trigger on that one. the bivy option gives you more options on where to set up camp as you dont need much room.

I opted for the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 for my backcountry tent.  Much like a bivy, the one person is pretty tight.  My tent, fly, poles, stakes, and footprint are less than three pounds (2lbs 12 oz I believe).  Although it would be tight, you could sleep two because this tent has two doors & vestibules making it a great ultralight option for the backcountry.  I also have the four man version for our family camping tent that could easily accommodate three plus gear for less than four pounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back