Tent/shelters

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
What do you use for tent/shelter during your hunts.

Last year I borrowed an inexpensive one men tent, that worked OK except for some condensation issues on wet/humid nights.
I am looking for a new tent for 2-people or one person with gear. I was leaning toward a Golite Shangri-La 2, but they are not available anymore. Golite is coming out with some new designs this spring. I was also looking at Six moon design Lunar duo, but have not made a decision yet. I like the space these tents provide at around 3#

I use a tarptent Rainshadow 2.  It only weighs 2.6 lbs and provides 42 sq. Ft. (84" x 78" and 48" tall).  It also has a floor and bugnetting which is a huge plus for me (I hate creepy crawlers).

Only downside is you need a hiking pole to setup and it is a breezy tent so it doesn't provide much in the way of added warmth.

IMG_4133.jpg

Jphelps, I agree, it has to have a floor and bug screen, I plan on using it here in PA too, too many bugs in the summertime.

I have a nice backpacking tent (Outbound) that I have used for 20+ years.  It has been on many hunt.  I need to get the rain fly zipper replaced on it though.  It weighs in at about 3.5 lbs, so it makes for a great backcountry tent and is also very roomy.  here is a pic.  I also use a Eureka tent, but it is a little more heavier at close to 5 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_3955_02(1).jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 00000023(1).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1
I like a tarp...lots of different ways to use it. If two hunters carry a tarp each, then one can be used as a tent and the other a rain fly. One thing I really like about a tarp is the open front. A bivy or enclosed tent prevents building a fire (if needed) in front with a reflector behind. I have done many 18th century reenactment hunts and carried a canvas tarp into an area and set it up, lean-to style. Used brush and bark to close in both ends. Stacked rocks or logs in front and built a fire against it. It is amazing how much heat will reflect under the lean-to. A tarp can also be wraped around you for a wind break or roll in making a bivy type bed.
Practice with one before counting on it.

I meant to add a photo... ;D

If you notice it is wet all around and dry inside. It started raining just before dark and this was a quick set up. One of the hardest rains I every slept in, but stayed bone dry.

If you carry a poncho you can also wrap it around the front or make a fly in front, if wanted.

Attachments

• DSC01079.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1
Nclonghunter, that looks like it would work, is that a nylon tarp or poly tarp.
For an elk hunt I think a floorless tent would be ok, but doesn't a mist come in the front during a rain?

try a hammock out with the right equipment (under quilt, over quilt, pads, and tarp)you can get down to below 0* and sleep just as if not better than your own bed. look up hammock forums.com or serch for shug on youtube theres all kinds of info.

You can get some mist in the front if set up properly. Two things you MUST be conscious of is the direction the storm is coming from and staying on slightly higher ground when setting it up. Point the back slope towards the coming storm. Most storms in the east come from the northwest, so I point it towards the west. I also carry a piece of Tyvek that I lay my Thermarest on. The key is to look at the ground and avoid the low area. The Tyvek can have leaves or small straight sticks laid around just under the edge and it forms a "tub" to keep water out. You will stay dry while sleeping. As mentioned a poncho can be pulled around front to give more protection if needed, but I have never needed to do that.
Go to Etowah Tarps website and click on "how to" and watch the nylon tarp demo.    http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/howto.html  The one in my picture is a camo poly tarp, but I now carry an Etowah.

The nice thing about the new tarps is they are so lite, you can use your trekking poles for setup and if wanted you can add a vestibule and stove for minimal weight. The are quite diverse and you can change what of the 3 parts you bring depending on the conditions.

Attachments

• P6160781 (640x480).jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PA100637 (640x480).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PA060603 (640x480).jpg
    180 KB · Views: 2
Kifaru Supertarp (with and without stove), GoLite Shangri-La3 without nest, and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 have all been finding their way into the rotation lately.

Might have to get me a tarp tent. I have a 4 seasn 2 man I usually use in washington. I hate rain ...

Thanks for all the ideas, I will have to check into some of the tarp ideas.
I am a side sleeper and have a history of lower back issues, so I don't think a Hammock will work for me.This is the tent I borrowed, I think it was a Wenzel, it is not available anymore, but it worked well and was around 3# I set up a nylon tarp as an awning and to cook under if it was wet.

Attachments

• IMGP1094-web.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1
I found a picture of my 2 man tent the wife and I use on elk hunts in the backcountry.

Attachments

• IMG_9913_2 20%.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2
nclonghunter said:
You can get some mist in the front if set up properly. Two things you MUST be conscious of is the direction the storm is coming from and staying on slightly higher ground when setting it up. Point the back slope towards the coming storm. Most storms in the east come from the northwest, so I point it towards the west. I also carry a piece of Tyvek that I lay my Thermarest on. The key is to look at the ground and avoid the low area. The Tyvek can have leaves or small straight sticks laid around just under the edge and it forms a "tub" to keep water out. You will stay dry while sleeping. As mentioned a poncho can be pulled around front to give more protection if needed, but I have never needed to do that.
Go to Etowah Tarps website and click on "how to" and watch the nylon tarp demo.    http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/howto.html  The one in my picture is a camo poly tarp, but I now carry an Etowah.
Lyman, what size Etowah tarp do you use? Silnylon or Coated nylon?
I have been looking at the Etowah tarps, I like that they have tabs instead of grommets and USA made

Jimbow65, my tarp is the coated nylon. I spoke to "Paul" at Etowah before buying mine and he explained the nylon is a lot more durable and more weight. I got it to use so I got the durable one. The sylnylon is a lot lighter, but easy to tear or puncture. If I was getting one for an emergency survival purpose I would buy the sylnylon. I believe my tarp is the 10x10 in a tan color. you can sleep two in that size. My friend bought one that is a military camo coated nylon for a few dollars more. You have to ask for the camo and he only makes them occasionally, but I like them. I also bought some titanium tent stakes and small braided cord from another camp supply store and put all of it into the pouch the tarp comes in.

I was just looking at the Mountainsmith website, and they have a new shelter that looks real appealing. the Mountain Shelter LT.
2# and  54sqft all for $129.00

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back