Tents in sept

Clayman56

Mar 31, 2018
What tents do you all use in the back high country in September? I need something light and that doesn't trap moisture. Brands or models?

Hilleberg anjan 3man has worked great for me. I wish I had the 2man with the extended vestibule. It is a bullet proof tent though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clayman56 said:
Thank you I will check it out. Off the top of your head Do you know how much it weighs?
4-5lb range. It?s not the lightest, but they are one of the toughest. We also use a Kifaru sawtooth w/ a stove and I think that?s the best setup for the mtns in September.

Big Agnes Copper Spur 2. Just over 3 lbs and room for two in a pinch. Two doors and two doors and two vestibules. Best for solo and gear.

Warbonnet Ground Tarp if the weather is 80 down to 20.  Otherwise JimmyTarp Hudson w/stovejack. Both fit myself and my brother and gear

North Face Rock 22. Not as fancy as some, but works for me. If I need bigger, I drag out the Alaskan Guide 6 man.

Just a heads up. If you want something that doesn't trap moisture you will need a slightly heavier tent. Any single wall tent will suffer from Moisture/condesation buildup in the mornings.

I use LightHeart Gear tents Solong 6 (26oz) when I go solo, and their Duo tent for the wife and I when we backpack together.

I?m going to Colorado in September and trying to stay on a budget, I saw some reviews for an MSR Elixir, does anyone have any experience good or bad with it? The 2 person is around $250 and is a reputable company so figured I?d give it a shot.

My experience is from years of backpacking. 2 person means 1 person and gear. If you are going with 2 people, then you will really need a 3 person tent

87TT said:
My experience is from years of backpacking. 2 person means 1 person and gear. If you are going with 2 people, then you will really need a 3 person tent

Amen.  The manufacturers version of adult is very askew from what a normal adult human would be. I have a 2p backpacking tent and my 7 year old can barely squeeze in with a friend.

I love my Tarptent Stratospire 2.  It is actually abnormal as you could fit 3 guys in it (62 in wide when "extended", and 2 people actually have extra room.  2 doors, large vestibules and under 3 lbs.  I've not had any condensation issues.  I got mine used off a hiking website (Trailspace) for around $200 so you can find them for a better price if you're patient and have time.  Great 3 season tent IMO.

I love my Lightheart gear Duo for the wife and I and our 60lbs dog. 2 vestibules and plenty of room for two adults.

It is a single wall tent and does have some condensation issues occasionally.

Another vote for the Tarptent StratoSpire 2. I?m tinkering with the idea of adding a stove jack to one of the vestibules and running it without the bug net in snowy/wet conditions.

Just saw this new Copper Spur Hotel and may be upgrading. If you have a Copper Spur already, you can just buy the new fly and vestibule. Fast fly weight (footprint, poles stakes and fly. Think tarptent)weighs about the same.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Hotel-HV-UL-2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back