Tents?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
What tents do you all use or recommend?

I'm considering picking up a Kodiak Canvas for this season.
I've been looking at some other tents, but I want something I can stand up in.

This will be stricktly a base camp tent.

I spent three days in a Kodiak canvas base camp tent this year  Had a tiny little woodstove in there. Very comfortable for two guys. Three guys might be a little crowded unless you have bunk bed cotsI think a titanium backpacking stove would bemore than enough for heat. My buddy  had a canvas guy put in our stove Jack. Worked great set up in 10 minutes. Without the wood stove 3 guys and a buddy heater would be perfect, but we were camping in 10 below. He also had the awning and vestibule which I would recommend.

montanaelk31 said:
I spent three days in a Kodiak canvas base camp tent this year  Had a tiny little woodstove in there. Very comfortable for two guys. Three guys might be a little crowded unless you have bunk bed cotsI think a titanium backpacking stove would bemore than enough for heat. My buddy  had a canvas guy put in our stove Jack. Worked great set up in 10 minutes. Without the wood stove 3 guys and a buddy heater would be perfect, but we were camping in 10 below. He also had the awning and vestibule which I would recommend.

Thank you so much for that feedback!
I'm going solo this year, so I was hoping the 10x14 would be more than enough room for me in a small cot and my gear.

I really like the idea of a woodstove now. I wonder what your buddy paid to have the stove jack put in. I cant imagine it being too expensive. That would be perfect for some of the cooler or later season hunts!

Thanks again!  I am pretty set on getting one.

I know you are going solo this year, but if it were me and I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd buy once and cry once and get a wall tent. That thing will last you forever and isn't that much more money than the Kodiak. We literally have a Davis 14x16 that is almost 30 years old and is still working perfect. Just throwing it out there...

I just purchased and tested this GearTop tent on a 1 night solo. see photos.It was everything I expected at a great price from Amazon. There are 2 types of Geartop solo tents. This one is the 1 piece trekking pole tent at a price you will not beat anywhere. Only 2 pounds with more room than most 1 man tents and a nice large vestibule.  :train:

Attachments

• GearTop2.JPG
    GearTop2.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 66
  • GearTopOpen.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 83
I?ve got an Alaskan Guide 6 person that I use as a base. I?m 6? and can stand up in it. Use a Mr Buddy to heat it when needed. It?s the perfect size for 2-3 guys and gear.

I've had a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6-man for over 10 yeas and it's been bomb proof.  We've used it for family car camping, elk base camps, fishing camps, etc and it's still going strong.  One of the better outdoor gear purchases that have outlasted my expectations.  Room to stand to dress but not really stand to hang out/do stuff.

For backpacking I've been running an REI Passage 2 for about 4 years.  It's not ultralight at 5 pounds true weight, but does a good job balancing weight/performance/price.  Works fine to sleep 2 people with room to 2 packs/rifles/etc under the vestibules.  It's a great value for $150.

Dan

I have two 10x12 wall tents and love them
Just right for two guys and all gear for a week plus

Im set up to heat with wood or propane, depending on the hunt

Rolled up, they weigh about 30lbs each

I also made an internal frame and have used trees, again depending on my hunt

Attachments

• wall tent1.JPG
    662.8 KB · Views: 69
  • wall tent2.JPG
    875.2 KB · Views: 64
The above is a Davis tent. I had it custom made, with shorter walls and ridge height. It heats much better
Plus, Im not that tall

My other tent has standard 4' walls and a higher ridge

I also use a 10x12 Davis tent that has never let me down. Been in minus 20 with no complaints. They stand behind their work.

Attachments

• 37EE0B34-12C7-445C-88C3-DEAD3FBCE27B.jpeg
    821.1 KB · Views: 67
I know in my original post I said I was pretty set on getting a kodiak, but you guys certainly have me checking out some different tents!

Thanks for the recommendations!  :upthumb:

Get a piece of 'astro turf' for the floor, roll it out and its like home.

I made my own wood stove too

Attachments

• wall tent_wood stove.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 68
We have made a raised bed in a 6x8 enclosed trailer and hung a curtain on the end for two week elk hunt. Made the bed high enough to slide totes under it. Put a tarp over the front to have a shade and cook area. If you are hauling your gear in an enclosed trailer it is a good option and can be locked when you leave camp.

The Davis Tents are the ultimate in base camp, but for one man I would believe they are difficult to put up. Two men it is much easier. Some of the big tent owners may help out here. I consider these more of a late season cold weather tent.

We have also used the Spring Bar Cabin Tent for a couple years but the last couple years we have used a Kodiak Cabin Tent with front porch. I really like the Kodiak with a cot and pad with a buddy heater that has a fan built into it. The Buddy Heater can be hooked to a 20# tank. We only burn the heater just before bed and when we get up. During Colorado archery you may not need a heater but it is nice.

I purchased a Trek Cabin Tent a couple years ago and have not used it yet. It is also a great tent and easy to set up. For one man set up this style of tent is the easiest way to go.

All the mentioned tents you can stand up in and put two XL cots comfortably. I am 6'2" and plenty of head space. I would recommend the Kodiak Cabin tent for what you want. If going in late season with snow and possible extreme cold temps then the Davis Tents with wood stove. Also, the cabin tents come with floors built in.

Funny thing we learned by getting up to pee in the night was when we did not have a heater on, then it seemed colder inside the tent than outside. We started keeping a couple windows open/unzipped  to keep airflow. It is the condensation inside the tent that makes it colder. Is also nice to look out at the stars.

DTP said:
I know in my original post I said I was pretty set on getting a kodiak, but you guys certainly have me checking out some different tents!

Thanks for the recommendations!  :upthumb:

Ten minute one man is the best advantage over a wall tent. Cost my buddy $40 to get that stove jack in there.  So convienent for a hunter who constantly stays on the move!

With some practice and logistics, setting up a wall is super easy for one guy.

1- stake down the four corners

2- slide ridge pole thru the center of tent

3- lift one end and install the upright or X poles

4- do same on other end

5- tie out guy ropes.

6- install wall poles

Seriously, I can set up my 10x12 in less than 10mins by myself.
But get your tent setup system down and remember it.

I?ve got both wall tent pole setups (traditional and internal frame) and either can be setup solo fairly easily. The internal frame is easier, but it also requires more poles and longer poles, so advantages and disadvantages to both.

Another vote for Davis tents Dan!  Had a 10x12 and was fine for 2 people, gear and a stove.  Big enough for an oversize cot on one side, folding table at the end then stove in opposite corner.

Like Brad's, I had mine customized with zippered doors on both ends but no windows.  Stove jack is already there.  I bought one of their sponsor wood stoves with attached water reservoir and it was handy.  Would heat up water to boiling then had a side spigot.

Guess you found somewhere to hunt that you can't take the camper for the luxury base camp you're accustomed to?

I?ve stayed in several wall tents and have recently gotten the kodiak tent as well. The Davis wall tents are great and they are hard to beat when it comes to an extended stay somewhere. However for multi use purposes ( hunts and in my case family camping) I am loving the kodiak. It has lots of room, holds up great in the wind and weather, easy to heat with a buddy heater, quick and easy setup, and takes up less room in the truck.

I don?t think you can go wrong either way. You?re going to spend an extra $1000 on wall tent but is probably going to last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

publichunter1 said:
I don?t think you can go wrong either way. You?re going to spend an extra $1000 on wall tent but is probably going to last longer.

Depending on what size you get and what options, you shouldn't end up spending a whole lot more on a wall tent than a Kodiak. Definitely not $1,000. Heck, a solid 10x12 setup with poles from Davis Tent is about $700 total.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back