Tents?

cohunter14 said:
publichunter1 said:
I don?t think you can go wrong either way. You?re going to spend an extra $1000 on wall tent but is probably going to last longer.

Depending on what size you get and what options, you shouldn't end up spending a whole lot more on a wall tent than a Kodiak. Definitely not $1,000. Heck, a solid 10x12 setup with poles from Davis Tent is about $700 total.

Sorry I should?ve thrown that in there. I used active junky and another discount and got my kodiak 10x14 for around $450 in the end. I was looking at the elk hunter package offer Davis offers. It?s around $1600-$1800 and is I think a 14x16 with a decent number of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going back and looking at their site Davis actually has a 12x14 on sale for April for around $1000.  I don?t think that includes a floor or poles but that?s still a really good deal.

Yeah, the more expensive options include stoves and other items as well. The 12x14 on sale is either $748 or $898 depending on if you treat it for fire or not. That price includes the internal frame angle kit, but not the poles. I believe they recommend buying the EMT and cutting it yourself, which saves quite a bit of money over them doing it. Probably add in $25 for the rear door (or $52 for a rear screen), a few bucks for a tarp to use as a floor, and you are all set. I'd personally consider paying for the eaves as well ($30) to do an awning, which is really nice to have.

I use a 6-man tent I bought from REI. I think it?s their brand. It was on sale. Solo, it is a palace. I can put a cot in it, I can stand up. It bags up to a package the size of my torso. Shall by comparison. And light by comparison. My tiny truck is stuffed full enough without one of the big jobbers.  It?s huge for one person. I can put a night stand in there.

I did a solo week in AZ with it and was never uncomfortable.

I just bought two of these wall tents and they a super reasonable on their pricing. I will be buying third soon.

good luck Terry

http://www.elkmountaintents.com/

I went with the 10x14 kodiak canvas.
I ordered an XL cabelas cot, a camp chef stove with griddle, some LED string lights (battery powered), got some astroturf and carpet, and i'll get a few more doodads before the hunt starts!

You will not regret the wall tent at all. Your grand kids will thank you when they inherit it. :clap:

DTP said:
I went with the 10x14 kodiak canvas.
I ordered an XL cabelas cot, a camp chef stove with griddle, some LED string lights (battery powered), got some astroturf and carpet, and i'll get a few more doodads before the hunt starts!

You will love the XL cot. If you want to feel really spoiled, get the cot pad. It?s like sleeping in a bed  ;-)

I am too looking at ideas and options for this.
I have found the winterial 3 person to be fair with cost and with review for packing. What are you recommending for a base fabric on these tents that pack in with minimal or no floor to them?

5625b3f6ab6e19e92e514287ab70818f.jpg

98390d2329bc234fa9b705dca070c721.jpg

598aed01ff3ab9cabc2bd7be0cc0bdd6.jpg

f5b4578f918c9ff3e6d095e7842c939b.jpg

1e76e48d2dccbd26be6e632742907ca6.jpg

Today I was able to do a test run on my new tent set up as well as my cot/pad.

All I can say is this is going to be a very comfortable and cozy set up. 
My daughter definitely approves. :)

Just to mention the cots, I have used the XL cot with pad for several years. It is very comfortable and well made. My buddy has one also and we put out plastic totes under the cot in the tent. Good way to keep your stuff until you need it. Having said that I have also realized the XL cot is a lot more cot than what I need. It takes up a lot of room in the smaller cabin style tents. I purchased a narrower military sized cot and pad and find it just as comfortable. Solo camping the XL is great but with a couple guys in the tent those big cots can use a lot of space. Try a narrower one and see if it works for you.

DTP said:

You didn't want the challenge of setting it up for the first time at O dark 30 on the mountain?  :haha:

Bowhunter1 said:
DTP said:

You didn't want the challenge of setting it up for the first time at O dark 30 on the mountain?  :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha: 
I almost wish I did because it was 97 degrees out and humid when I did it!

Looks awesome, how long did it take you?  Also I see on youtube where you can sew in your own tent stove jack.  I might give that a try...

iHunt said:
Has anyone tried a CVT or Roof top tent?

I personally don't like the roof top tents. They're extremely expensive for what they are.

If you have a truck you can likely find a slide in camper for the same price or a similar price and it will do a much better job. If you have an SUV build a platform for the trunk and sleep inside, it'll be warmer and cheaper in the long run.

Elk Noob said:
iHunt said:
Has anyone tried a CVT or Roof top tent?

I personally don't like the roof top tents. They're extremely expensive for what they are.

If you have a truck you can likely find a slide in camper for the same price or a similar price and it will do a much better job. If you have an SUV build a platform for the trunk and sleep inside, it'll be warmer and cheaper in the long run.

i didnt like them either.  but if you see how fast they set up, it makes a GREAT argument.  i HATE putting up a tent in the rain.  plus they are all lined on the floor with a mattress.  i wouldnt ever want one on top of my truck, but if i had one of those Adventure Compact trailers, it would be awesome.

So, I've just picked up base camp tent in Indiana.
A 2020 American Hauler tent /trailer

Running e track so I can fasten it all and cots on the bar system and straps, all sorts of goodies

Carry atv, cooler, gear, animal, generator, 12v hook up, lights, camera.....
ffb70a67659711d17aa079076e257780.jpg

I have loved my Kodiak 10x14.  I also put a piece of outdoor carpet inside to make it a little nicer and quieter.  A Mr. Buddy heater has worked perfectly up to 10k feet elevation too.

I did add the vestibule to the fly and it is a total game changer.  Quite frankly, I was shocked at how much I like that part.  I will try to attach a picture for you to see it.

Enjoy and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• Kodiak Tent.jpg
    Kodiak Tent.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 13
  • Kodiak Tent 2.jpeg
    Kodiak Tent 2.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 14

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back