That dog won't hunt

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
Ever shot an elk only to loose it? Was it a good hit?  Good blood trail only to vanish into thin air?  How does one actually get over it?  It is a sickening feeling and you just feel horrible.  14 years ago I had called in a screaming 5x5 shot himat 23 yards broadside.  He went about 70 yards and laid down.  One of our hunting party got on the radio and had eyes on the bull as he laid down.  My first bull ever I was so excited,  it all happened so fast and the adrenaline was pumping.  Then I couldn't believe what I heard next.... He's up and moving.  What?  Then they had lost sight of him as he moved through the forrest. We waited a good 45 min and went to were he had laid down.  Pink frothy blood pooled up,  that's good at least I had lunged him.  We followed the trail until he came to a very large "rotto tilled" area we had lost his trail.  I searched until dark and the next day,  nothing.  By then even if I were to have found him he would have been spoiled due to the tempature.  I thought about giving up archery after that.  I mean how does one get over it?

A tough question...for me I practice harder and harder and harder....Things will go wrong archery hunting, but if you do all you can in the preparation and the attempted recovery...There is no need to hang your head...Hold your head high and proud...the bad also make you a stronger archery hunter...we as people learn more through tragedy than through triumph!!!

It sucks.. it really does but it should just drive you to want to be a better archer. I lost my bull this year too and I actually sat and cried on the trail for a few minutes. It's a crappy feeling but all it did was make me want to improve. I learn a lot more from my mistakes!!

It sucks, but personal responsibility and the drive to learn from your mistakes should kick in and help out. Time heals all wounds right?
I generally start out with the basics of shooting and go thru everything step by step to make sure I have not strayed from my base. From there I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back