The budget hunter

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
I am sure there is a big mix of economic statuses here, I feel I live comfortably, but finances are not unlimited. What are some ways you are able to make elk hunting a reality. when otherwise you couldn't due to limited $$

I dont own anything Sitka, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch Badlands or any of the "big names" in backcountry hunting gear. I am sure it is nice stuff, but not a reality for me.

Here are some of my examples.
I used an $80 LL bean pack for packing elk this year.
My pants were $20 True Timber from Sportsmans Wharehouse.
I wore $50 boots from Cabelas bargain cave.
THEY ALL WORKED.
My point is, a $400 pack, and $180 pant, and $300 boot is the norm on elk hunting forums, Given the choice to hunt elk or buy gear, I choose to hunt.
What are some ways we can help each other make Elk hunting safe, comfortable, yet not out of reach.

I got by for years and years with gear that would make a hobo proud.
The majority of my "top of the line" gear has been purchased at grand discounts. Be patient, find the sales, and save up.
It also helps that the purchases I was not able to find on sale I worked a second job for.

A second job or turning a hobby into income is an option.
I am a Designer for a Custom Modular home company, I have drawn plans on the side for additional income.
I have been thinking of turning a Photography hobby into income for senior portrait type stuff too, But haven't taken that step yet.

Over the years I have acquired a tone of camo and use the same weapons i have used for years with exception to my bow.  I tend to change out my bow every few years.  Also, most my tags are over the counter so they are relatively cheap, even my non-resident tags compared to paying for a land owner tag.  I still put in for the drawings, but will let them take their course as i am still young so i can wait to draw them.  All my backpacking equipment I saved and bought years ago and are still very useful, so not much $ is needed each year other than gas $ and food $.   

I feel your pain jimbow! im in a similar situation having 3 kids (my boy is 1 week old)
and a full time job and a wife who will be going back to school soon for her phd. things get tight real quick. i am fortunate enough to live in colorado where there are tons of people with gear, i utilize craigslist alot. also REI garage sales are a great way to get GOOD gear at great prices. Cabelas often has great deals on there microtex line of camo which i really like especially for the money, there bargain cave always has something good.Sometimes being on a tight budget we are tempted to get 2nd rate gear to save money but i am finding its not worth it. i have some 2nd rate gear that is only 1 season old and im already wishing to upgrade it. that being said i make lists of all the gear i want, need and dream about having. then prioritize it and start checking things off the list.

used gear i have got so far this year

rei 5300 ci backpack $35 retail $299

outdoor research aurora bivy $80 retail $200

oware cattarp $45 retail $75

asolo tps 520 $190 retail $288

kelty cosmic down 25 degree $80 reail $139

smart wool merino wool long under wear bottoms $15 retail $95

This may not be the best or coolest looking gear on the mountain but all of it is solid gear that is super light and built to last, i hope anyway! hope this helps a little

everything I have bought has come off of forum classifieds.  all of the gear you see in my signature was bought at half of normal price or less.  If you do some searching you can find great deals (and with some negotiating skills you can make them even better :) )

Also, be sure to check out Aron Snyder's article in the Spring 2013 Issue of Extreme Elk Magazine...it's titled "Backpacking Gear On A Budget"....

He suggests several areas where you can save money, and offers examples of gear that doesn't break the bank.

Most of the stuff is not going to make a huge difference, your just buying the name. The camo clothing is way to expensive and should not be sold at such high prices but people want it and are willing to pay those prices. I buy cheaper brand stuff unless I can find a super deal on something of quality (not all name brands are quality). Like others are saying you can find good deals out there if you take the time to look (you have 11 months a year to find deals:)

My best deals so far are an Under Armour $200 jacket for $75 (new) and a $689 bow for $299 (new).

Wish I could find those kind of deals on arrows since I go through more of those than anything else ;)

When it comes to clothes I just buy whatever is camo ish. They elk aren't coming to you if you are first class in the human world. Boots I find a really nice pair I like then wait for a deal on them. And anything that deals with archery equipment. I make due till the thing I want goes on sale. I think sales are the biggest thing. Right now I'm waiting for some broadheads to go on sale on cabelas.com because I have some points saved up. If they don't go on sale this year I will use my old broadheads and buy them next year.

Untill this year all my gear has been factory seconds or on sale cotton stuff.  I recently got a great deal on some sitka gear and jumped on it.  I also bought some microtex when it was on sale. 

Until the past year i used to hunt elk in a pair of Walmart camo jeans and a camo long sleeve.  Sure after purchasing all the expensive stuff this year i thought it was going to make a difference in getting me a big bull but in reality it made no difference.  Its the driver and determination that will get you the bull and not all the fancy equipment. 

I see that you are from back East, me too. Michigan, I go out west every year and have for about 26 years now. you don't have to have the best of the best.

The one piece of gear that is important, is a decent pair of leather boots, depending on the time of year you are plan on ? you will probably want them insulated.
Pack type boots like a lot of people wear back East, don't get it in the Mountains.
camo is camo dress in layers and you will be fine. IMHO
up grade your gear, one thing at a time as you can afford too.

Kevin

strawhunt said:
I feel your pain jimbow! im in a similar situation having 3 kids (my boy is 1 week old)
and a full time job and a wife who will be going back to school soon for her phd. things get tight real quick. i am fortunate enough to live in colorado where there are tons of people with gear, i utilize craigslist alot. also REI garage sales are a great way to get GOOD gear at great prices. Cabelas often has great deals on there microtex line of camo which i really like especially for the money, there bargain cave always has something good.Sometimes being on a tight budget we are tempted to get 2nd rate gear to save money but i am finding its not worth it. i have some 2nd rate gear that is only 1 season old and im already wishing to upgrade it. that being said i make lists of all the gear i want, need and dream about having. then prioritize it and start checking things off the list. . .

What strawhunt said. And congrats to him on the birth of his son.

Used gear is a great way to go. There are two REI's near Pittsburgh. Use the Store Events link in the footer of the REI web site to see if any garage sales are happening in the coming months. I have scored great used gear. Best deal was a Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree sleeping bag $500new, for $80, with virtually no wear on it. That is the kind of savings you can find. You do have to get there early. I wait in line with the other bargain hunters for two hours before the sale starts to be in the first group of shoppers through the door. Over time you can outfit yourself with top quality gear for bargain gear prices.

Here are a few of my favorite sites to find smoking deals on top of the line gear. I believe you get what you pay for. I want durable equipment that I can trust to last for years.

CamoFire.com
Promotive.com
Leoadventure.com
Theclymb.com
dvor.com

I seem to wait and wait till I find deals on clearance or on last years models. Couple things I have not skimped on is my backpacking tent and my shoes.

lavacrawler said:
I seem to wait and wait till I find deals on clearance or on last years models. Couple things I have not skimped on is my backpacking tent and my shoes.

Yeah i would say two things you shouldn't skimp on are boots and pack

I think the most important pc. of gear for me are my boots if my feet are warm the rest will follow. I got my sitka gear thru a raffle or I would not have any to expensive or I would just wear my jeans and good jacket. I just started Elk hunting in 2010 my total bill for everything is about 1800 including tags fuel is the most expensive for me Calif. to Colorado.

Hunting gear is a work in progress for sure. Clothing and gear has improved at a rate that requires buying new and best each year. I suspect I could change all my gear every year, but like most it is a financial impossibility for me. So you guys nailed it, get last years stuff at discount when you can find the deal. It was last years "Best".
I can't help but think of the movie "My Cousin Vinne", when Mellisa Tomei talks about Danny DeVito going deer hunting....Classic

nclonghunter said:
Hunting gear is a work in progress for sure. Clothing and gear has improved at a rate that requires buying new and best each year. I suspect I could change all my gear every year, but like most it is a financial impossibility for me. So you guys nailed it, get last years stuff at discount when you can find the deal. It was last years "Best".
I can't help but think of the movie "My Cousin Vinne", when Mellisa Tomei talks about Danny DeVito going deer hunting....Classic

hahaha i had forgotten about that one.  great quote

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back