The final 100

montanaelk31

Mar 18, 2014
Hey all.  Its late February so Elkitis is kicking in.  Thought I'd ask a question.  (also asked Corey the same on #projectsuccess). 
Background- I'm primarily a bow hunter for elk, haven't had to shoot one with the rifle in 6 years.  I have been successful every year since I moved to Montana in 06.
My scenario:
I've found the elk.  Located a bull. Got the wind, moved in to 150ish, my shooter to less than 100. Soft cow calling.  Elk bugles/groans- I bugle groan to cut him off.  Elk perks up.  Bugles with more emotion, I cut him off with more emotion...etc.  5 minutes into it this happens.  I bugle to cut him off, he lets out a couple notes that sounds like his feelings are hurt, or simply walks away.  My shooter usually notices this sudden change of behavior.  It seems like it happens out of nowhere.
My question is this: What the hell is happening?
By the way, I usually am successful in this scenario at some point during the season, but it seems like I'm only calling in 1 out of 8 to the bow.

I have had similar problems (first world problems that is)

Any chance of creeping up to close distance? I know once you are in that range (150ish-in) you dont want get busted by movement especially difficult with a shooter and caller. Last year i really made the switch to getting aggressive when the bull held up. I will locate, then I wouldnt call until what i thought was 100ish yards, with good wind. Obviously every scenario is different and you can usually tell how fired up a bull is. If he bugled back two times and didnt move, thats when i would move up another 20 and slowly close the gap towards him, wait for him to call, either enticing him with a mew or just waiting for him, then cut off and see if that gets him coming. Had about 50/50 success, some came others turned and buggered out. 

Thanks Dozer def give that a try. Have tried things similar. I think ur right about the caller shooter scenario. Easier to put the squeeze on them with one guy vs 2.  Easier to kill them with 2.
Sometimes I wonder if they have the sixth sense that knows something is there that shouldn't be. I frequently get a feeling in the timber, not sure what makes me stop. But it's amazing how often something happens minutes after I feel "it".  Elk sense. My hunting buddies can vouch for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back