The Good, the Bad, and the Lucky!

Nice Jeff. Great job on the story and pics. Thanks for sharing it with us. :upthumb:

How did the inReach work for you? Did you have any issues with it? Congratulations on a great hunt.

excellent! your post reminds me a lot of my hunt. I bought some pantyhose based on your recommendation, man they pack light. I forgot just how big elk hams are. I still terrible about not finding my bull....

\"mtnmuzzy\" said:
How did the inReach work for you? Did you have any issues with it? Congratulations on a great hunt.

Dave,
Worked OK. You just have to dedicate a little time to send, depending on your location. I only used 50 percent of the battery life in 9 days...pretty impressive there.

Sometimes if you are down in a hole, it can take up to 20 minutes to get a message out and/or in. Not as effective as my GPS at finding the satellites I guess. But, it worked when I needed it, I guess that\'s the most important thing.

Awesome story Jeff! How do you get up in those treestands? It doesn\'t look like there are any ladders or steps...are you literally climbing the tree to get up there?

Congrats again on the success :upthumb:

\"cohunter14\" said:
Awesome story Jeff! How do you get up in those treestands? It doesn\'t look like there are any ladders or steps...are you literally climbing the tree to get up there?

Congrats again on the success :upthumb:

Derek...some of them have old spike nails driven near the base of the tree. There are some with some actual tree steps. Once you get up to the good lower limbs, you just climb like a monkey. Secret is to keep your feet near the trunk of the tree when you step on limbs...so they do not break on you. On one climb...I twisted wrong and pulled an intercostal muscle. Pretty painful for a couple days...but when you are working as hard as I was, pain is relative I guess.

I always hold on to some good upper limbs and test the stand by bouncing up and down on it before I settle in. It\'s unbelievable how many years some of these have lasted...they\'ve gotta go sometime :shifty:

I\'m a slow reader but am sure I\'ll get it read in a few days.... It appears ya had a great hunt along with a good time ... Congrats...

Congrats... be careful in those old treestands. I\'ve had one bad fall and that was enough for me.

\"razorback\" said:
Congrats... be careful in those old treestands. I\'ve had one bad fall and that was enough for me.

Yeah I know. I\'m not following Swede\'s safety protocols. If it didn\'t work so damn well...I\'d never climb up there. ;)

Sounds like you had a lot of action. I bet those days just flew by. One of these days I\'m going to get into some elk like that.
Feel for you packing that bull out by yourself. I got to help pack one out this year (first time). A lot of work there but surpisingly I thought it was fun. It helped I was with somebody though.

Sounds like you had a lot of action. I bet those days just flew by. One of these days I\'m going to get into some elk like that.
Feel for you packing that bull out by yourself. I got to help pack one out this year (first time). A lot of work there but surpisingly I thought it was fun. It helped I was with somebody though.

Jeff, you are crazier than hell! :lol: If I were you, I would pop up that slip system and sit right at the base of the tree. But then again, I am not a huge fan of heights. All I know is my 230lb frame wouldn\'t be \'bouncing\' on those old things to test the stability :D

\"cohunter14\" said:
Jeff, you are crazier than hell! :lol: If I were you, I would pop up that slip system and sit right at the base of the tree. But then again, I am not a huge fan of heights. All I know is my 230lb frame wouldn\'t be \'bouncing\' on those old things to test the stability :D

LOL Derek, I\'m glad I\'m not a \"big\" guy...UNTIL it comes time to pack out meat :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back