The Long Coax

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Most of my elk encounters have been over quickly, but occasionally I hear or read of people who \"played\" with a bull for a LONG time, eventually coaxing him in close enough for a shot.

I\'m interested to know how they do that. When I\'m \"playing\" with a bull, it seems to be an \"all-or-nothing\" game for him, meaning that he either comes in -- or not. That\'s it.

So, what is the longest time you\'ve gone back and forth with a bull, keeping him interested rather than watching him trot away (with or without an arrow in him)?

How did you do it? What kept that bull around? How did you remain around him without him busting you as a non-elk?

I haven?t had many ?long? encounters with bulls either. Mostly when I have, they have been bugling / moving thru the timber and me flanking them, trying to keep up to no avail.
But you?re right, it seems they come in or not. Nothing wishy washy about it

I have had them bugle a lot as we followed like Brad mentioned but I think that\'s them just telling others where they are so they don\'t run into another herd. Only time I\'ve had them bugle back and forth a lot it after they are bedded and we get in somewhat close not in the 100yds or less but more like 2-250 (because of wind or other issues) and just do my best rendition of an elk orgy the bull is typically hesitant to leave his own cows but can\'t quite let go of the thought about what\'s going on over there they will bugle and listen for quite a while.. Now sometimes they finally decide to come investigate sometimes they don\'t I believe it\'s probably more the lead cow getting fed up with all the commotion and leaving and the bull isn\'t willing to give up what he has for something he can\'t see. They have no moral code to tell them it\'s wrong to listen in on others instead they are frustrated that guy over there is getting some and he is not.maybe it\'s my imagination but I swear you can hear the frustration in the bugle I\'m not sure if some guys realize what picture they are painting with their calling and they just say oh we bugles back and forth for 40 min you really don\'t get the \"rest of the story\"

What about experiences where the bull is within, say, 100-150 yards for a long time -- doesn\'t come, doesn\'t go -- anyone have that experience?

I have been lucky enough to have about three of these encounters. Too much fun, but not 1 has yielded a downed bull for us. In my experiences, it has always been a herd of cows with a bull or few in the middle. They were out in the open, so we have been stuck on the edges of the woods. If only we were rifle/ML hunting!!

To keep them around, wind is obviously key. Also, by sticking to the shadows and being patient (not much other choice for us here - private on one side, clearing full of elk to the other). In my experience they have been feeding, relaxed and unpressured (opening weekend each time). A wide variety of calling techniques would get a lot of commotion (from the cows mostly) going but not enough to seal the deal. Got the herd bull to 100 yards, but he was running around and moving his cows and didn\'t seem to care much about the strangers he couldn\'t see. Maybe if I felt more confident about a challenge bugle at the time? :dk: It started to get dark, we didn\'t feel confident about moving so backed out and went after them in the morning. All in all, this was about 45 min or so. Had a spike at about 15 yds, some satellite rags at about 150, and cows nearing 50 or so. Buddy had cows good and close, but he wanted a bull.

My other experiences have been similar, herd in the open feeding. Bulls interested in the real cows in the open and not the impostors in the shadows. Lots to be learned by watching though, and like I said, way too much fun!!

Anybody have any luck arrowing elk in the open?

If you are getting fast and quick encounters then I think you are doing it right tick. You want those type of encounters because the longer it plays out the more chance you\'ll have of getting busted. I am mostly referring to close 50 - 100 yard encounters.

If you\'re battling a satellite bull and he hangs up outside of range it\'s because his survival instinct has over powered his breeding instinct. Why would he commit when you the \"cow\" is still there? You\'re not going anywhere! :)

Herd bulls are completely different. They will not risk loosing something they already have for the possibility of gaining something they might get. That\'s why herd bulls will bugle back and forth with you until his cow(s) lead him away.

For both encounters, you need to force a quick encounter. Making the bull believe he\'s loosing his \"property\" is the best way to call in pressured bulls. With unpressured bulls, it becomes a lot easier.

My 2-cents and worth nothing more.

My longest encounter was about 25 minutes.
I caught started talking to him about 600 yards out, but he was cowed up and not coming to me.
I moved in close to him and chatted consistently for the entire time.
It wasn\'t until I got probably within 60 yards of him when he finally committed to come and get me. (I was a sexy lost cow ;) )

30 mins here. Herd was about half mile away a cross a meadow. Lead cow brought herd straight to me with bull bugling all the way. I was wood line waiting. Had lots of time to think, what a rush. When they got to me they were on both sides coming Never had clear shot on bull because of the cows. But what a day. I used several different cow calls.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back