The perfect spouse for an elk hunter

RockyMountainHi

Dec 28, 2012
If you are married, what characteristics make your spouse that "perfect" match for your elk obsession?  Is it that annual yard pass to go elk hunting, a tolerance or passion for eating the elk you bring home, how they support your addiction or something else?  Let's hear your version of what makes your "sweetie" that perfect elk hunter's spouse.

If you are not married, you can still respond, but those of us that are hitched will filter your responses through the lenses of real life experience ;) .

A prenuptial agreement:) In all honesty, it has to be someone that is not granting you a pass or time. It
needs to be someone who understands your passion and what it will take to be successful each year. That
being said, I have to return the favor the rest of the year and allow her to pursue what her passion is. After
29 years I continue to say how lucky I am that I chose the right 1, as I have seen marriages crumble
due to a hunting obsession and as we know it is an obsession. Mutual respect, mutual understanding
and commitment.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
A prenuptial agreement:) In all honesty, it has to be someone that is not granting you a pass or time. It
needs to be someone who understands your passion and what it will take to be successful each year. That
being said, I have to return the favor the rest of the year and allow her to pursue what her passion is. After
29 years I continue to say how lucky I am that I chose the right 1, as I have seen marriages crumble
due to a hunting obsession and as we know it is an obsession. Mutual respect, mutual understanding
and commitment.

Touche' and well said!!

I support her wonderful ability to paint, she loves the outdoors, and she likes tasty elk back straps.

Easy day for me. 

I can only say we just hit fifteen years, and elk season has her questioning my worth every year.

Jeremiah said it very well. I have been married for twenty years and she definitely puts up with a ton of crap. Having said that, Lang also mentioned how my wife can get at that time of year. While she don't care to go and don't really want to eat the meat, she is very supportive all being said because I do not go a single day without mentioning hunting in some form.

I have the most understanding wife. There is never an issue when I go and she often suggest that I do because she knows I want to. I have been married before and she hated the fact that I hunted and would cold shoulder me for a month after I got back. This great lady respects the fact that I love to hunt and I never hear a negative comment. She knew when we started dating that I was an avid hunter and fisherman and she stands behind me.

My wife is very supportive in my hunting obsession, I include her in all my planning and scheming before the hunt, and she was as excited as I was when I called her to tell her I killed an elk. She does not like the time I am away, we are best friends and love being together, and it places all the parenting/household responsibilities on her alone. The timing of elk hunting also means a lot longer hunting season for me. 2-weeks of elk hunting followed by 6-weeks of deer hunting in PA, followed by her birthday, which i try to make extra special. I am blessed to have her. Someday, I hope she goes with me.

My wife is great, supportive of all my hunting adventures and can cook most anything and make it taste great!

My beautiful bride of 10 years is very supportive of my hunting and antler addiction. When we first started dating I was up front with her about love of the outdoors and hunting. I believe that is one characteristic that attracted her to me. She loves the outdoors as well. In fact, about a month into dating I asked her if she wanted to take hunters ed, she enthusiastically agreed. We met at the end of July and by September she was taking hunters and archery ed. In October I took her on her first hunt and she shot a little spike mule deer buck! That's when I knew I had to marry her. About a month later I asked her to marry me. The following year we drew cow tags and she shot her first elk.
Since that time we have had three kids and she hasn't been out hunting. However, each year I put her in on some of the most sought after hunts in Idaho. One of these days she'll draw one of those tags! Every year when hunting season approaches there is some hesitation from her to let me go, but overall she is very supportive. Plus, she likes decorating the house in antlers as much as I do! I am a very lucky man!

I honestly can't say what makes the perfect Wife.
But mine is a keeper, She knows that I am going out west some place Elk hunting for about 2 weeks every year DIY, and the only thing that she ever asks, is what State am I going too, who is going with me, when I amleaving and getting back.
and I fish some too, and she supports what I love to do 100%.
To me she is the perfect Wife.

Kevin

My husband is the perfect spouse for an elk hunter.  Hands down.  One, he patiently taught me how to shoot my bow and take it to the next level: hunting.  Two, he puts up with my book learned suggestions-and sometimes even humors me by trying some of my ideas. Three, he doesn't get TOO far ahead of me in the deep dark forest. Four-he loves all of my venison cooking.  Five-he doesn't get upset when I buy yet another pair of gloves.  Pretty amazing guy, if you ask me!

My wife is the perfect spouse for an elk hunter.  I didn't know it when I married her but her family owns some good elk hunting property.  I have killed three bulls and one cow in the last three years with my bow.  She let's me go hunting whenever I want.  We had a pre-marriage agreement that I wouldn't mess with her ranching if she didn't mess with my elk hunting. 

She doesn't like to hunt but she loves to tag along when she can.  Best of all, 13 months ago she gave me twin boys that I can pass the obsession down to.

Sounds like a lot of lucky people on this site. No wife here, only girl friend, and the ones ive had before that are all supportive....... until it gets to that time of the year. Then they become a little impatient.

My wife is the perfect elk hunters wife because two years ago when I deployed to the sand box, she said so sad but I am still going elk hunting with out you. She proceeded to shoot a decent 5 point rag horn. The best part was she always told me I couldnt mount anything that didnt make the books, well her rag horn is on the wall  ;D .

My wife is great about elk hunting. One of the big things is that she loves not having to pay for beef throughout the year even though it costs as much or WAY more to hunt for a season unless I can tag out in the first week which isn't very often. When we were dating she understood that the fall is a VERY VERY special time and I wouldn't give it up and she was fine with that. She also realized no kids during the fall (if we can help that). Plus she gets excited for me to shoot things even if they aren't trophies.

Jeremiah got it right (Prenuptial)but I would go one step further,If she dosent hunt also she is not marriage material.just bought her tags on sunday.

Attachments

• 1128091027.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
After about 2 weeks of dating. I told my (now) wife she could never ask me to stop hunting. After I proposed I told her she could pick the date as long as it wasn't in the fall. We have been together for 15 years and she loves the camping and the meat. She usually only complains about the money. She is really whining now cause i am hitting her up for a new bow this year :D

Back