This years game plan?

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
We all have experienced the last few years of record setting temperatures.  The big question is go hunt early or late Septrmber?  Advantages to early are getting to the bulls before everyone else,  what if they are not bugleing? Late season means more pressure and traditional third to fourth week hunter's to compete with.  Any thoughts?

Here in WA we are stuck with hunting early until 2015 cause we start the day after Laber Day and never hunt beyond the 20th. This is why I keep thinking about hunting in another state so I can see what it is like to hunt late Sep.

I take my time off third week but i get out there for opening day if i have the days off already.  I just distance myself from everyone as much as possible and hunt hard. 

I have played the game of trying to predict what to do for archery elk for a long time my ability to kill elk seems to be better after Sept. 20 but in saying that I have killed as early as Aug. 31. So my plan will be the same as it has been the last few years hunt the last 3rd or last 1/2 of the season.

We always hunt the very first week of the season. It starts the first saturday in September. We get into elk all the time. They aren't real vocal, but they are vocal enough to locate. We also don't see any other hunters ever. I would say go the first week, but with that I don't know if you will see as many "big" boys. Last year I shot a 5 point and my buddy shot a 6 point in 4 days.

This year is totally up in the air for me, last year 10-27-12 when I was coming down off the mountain to go home, another truck pulling about a 28' RV jackknifed and blocked the whole road. he called friends to bring him chains, but after I had sat there for 1 1/2 hours another Truck came down the mountain and rear-ended my 14' TA axle Cargo Trailer it ended up being totaled and it bent the frame on my Chevy Silverado too. my personal property has pretty much been taken care of, But I have Whiplash from it, I have been to the Doctor, Chiropractor over 20 times, 2 MRIs, and just saw a Neurologist, I have headaches 24 hours a day and Dizziness, the Neurologist gave me a prescription to help with my headaches, and wants me to go to Physical Therapy 3 times a week.
The Neurologist said it could take 2 weeks to over 2 years to get over it.
The dead line for the Montana draw is March 15Th, I just don't know what to do.

But, I know that I can't Elk hunt in the condition I am in right now.

Kevin

Wow heres to a full recovery Kevin.....  I hunt any time I can but always schedule my vacation from the mid to late September. As stelth said I have killed Labor Day weekend once. Worst hunt ever, having to sit out the rut. LOL

Freakin UT opens for bow season in the middle of August. I usually wait till the first week of Sept. when bulls are starting to kick off the rut.  Closes the middle of Sept. so usually hit the last two weeks pretty hard. Last couple yrs the bulls haven't really got going till around the 12th of Sept.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back