Thor bullets

billg

Dec 29, 2012
Anyone have firsthand experience with these bullets? I got the test-pack and my gun likes the .501 size the best. Ordered 15 in 250 and 15 in 300gr. Will see which ones shoot the best. Will be trying 70, 77 and 84 gr (by weight) loads with each(BH 209). Should be able to get a dependable load out of all that.--Bill

I know some folks that use them and like them.

I use 250 Barnes TEZ now in my MZ,had been using the TMZ's but they are hard to load in my Omega. I use 100gr 209 and I can get good groups @ 200 yrds.  But I'm in NM where inlines ,sabots,and scopes are legal.

I finally had a chance to shoot my CVA Wolf compact this past weekend. It is my first muzzleloader.  What fun it is!  I was shocked at how consistent modern muzzleloaders shoot.

I tried Hornady FPB's and Thor 300 grain bullets and between 80 - 100 grains of BH 209.  I had good luck with both bullets but I'm pretty sure I'll be using 100 grains and the Thor bullet as my elk medicine in Colorado this September.  You can see a little fire coming out of the 24" barrel at 100 grains, so I didn't figure that adding more powder would do that much.  And, the gun weighs a little under 7 lbs, so there is already plenty of excitement at 100 grains. 
smile.png
I sighted it in ~1" high at 100 yards with that load and am getting ~3" groups of 5 shots with open sights. I will definitely practice with it more in the weeks ahead, but I would be very confident taking a shot at that distance if the season opened tomorrow.  Sure wish it was Sept. 14 already!

Have fun and good luck and good hunting!
To billG that asked about them, do not use BH209 by weight measure,use a volume measurer....  and every gun likes different volume with different bullets and weights of bullets. Start low and work your way up to 110grns by volume. I know some folks that push it past that but I found 100 grns works best in mine. I also use 209 shotgun primers, they light up every time. Never had a misfire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back