Thoughts on Music for Videos?

HuntinKyhl

Dec 28, 2012
What are your thoughts on "appropriate" or "good" music for an elk hunt video?  Lots of people put together videos of their hunts after they get home.  Most of them contain some kind of music.  It seems to me that it used to be all country, but now it's a lot more alternative, rock, and rap.  I am pretty much a country music guy, but prior to putting together my last video my buddy had me listen to Eminem "lose yourself".  We both agreed that the lyrics, at least a lot of them, fit in well with my hunt.  It talks about having just one shot at everything you ever wanted, and for me that was to kill a nice bull on a limited entry unit after waiting for 10 years for the tag.  It was my "one shot" to put it all together and come out sucessful.  The second song is Nickelback "If today was your last day".  Wouldn't we all agree hunting elk is what we'd want to do if it was our last day?  I've posted the video here before, but I'll add it below so you can watch it again and hear the music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCeTygT7RY[/youtube]

What are your opinions on Music for Elk Hunt Videos and why? 

First of all.... Nice bull !!!  For the music it's hard to please everyone especially when it comes to music.  I also understand the need for something to fill the void when audio is less than what you wanted when filming...  I liked how it started and was fitting for the opening scene, but after that I found myself wanting to turn it down (and I like all music)...  I think the Heartland Bowhunter team has it figured out when it comes to music, and that is it's hard to beat a Reckless Kelly instrumental  8) .  There was video posted on Bowsite this year, and it had Music by Eric Church "Creepin" which fit that video perfect..... Again, hard to please everyone with hunting video background music. 

But now I gotta know, how far did that bull travel and did you have any blood to help track?

Some great points HabuHunter, Thanks for the comment.

The bull traveled about 100 - 150 yards.  There wasn't blood "everywhere", but there was enough that between three of us following him it wasn't to hard to follow.
Thanks

I POSTED ONE EARLIER WITH CREED'S HIGHER, I JUST TRIED SAME CLIPS WITH THE MUSIC FROM BRAVEHEART AND LAST OF THE MOHICANS.  I LIKE IT BETTER IT EVEN FREAKED OUT MY NINE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SHE THOUGHT IT WAS SCARY.  GUESS THAT IT MEANS IT GETS THE EMOTIONS GOING.  I'LL PUT IT UP WHEN I GET IT ONLINE.

I prefer no music and just the sounds that were recorded when it was originally filmed during the hunt.

I guess it would depend on the length of the video, as you can't really edit video with just voices or sounds and have it flow. You will either have an unedited short video with voices and sounds or an edited video which could have both, voices and music.

Selecting the right music for a video is one of the hardest things of editing if you ask me.
If not done right you will end up with people that will either turn the sound off or turn off the video.

I prefer modern acoustic music and classical type stuff (Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo-Ma,Mark O'Conner, Bela Fleck, Noam Pikelny, Tony Trischka, Jens Kruger,Chris Thile, Sam Bush, Mike Marshall, Jerry Douglas, etc.) I find acoustic music (mandolins, violins, banjos, cello, etc.) goes really well with outdoor scenery (if you have never heard of a group called strength in numbers look them up, even if you don't put it in a video it is some great easy listening).  Fiddle music and Celtic stuff is also great background music as well as banjo and flatpick guitar(Bryan Sutton, Doc Watson)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back