Three or Four Vanes?

Kmbingham92

Dec 30, 2012
Has anyone been using four vanes instead of three? I have put four on and will start shooting to see if it is any better.

I have been wondering about this as well and would really like someone to test the difference with a Hooter Shooter so that real differences can be seen.  Other's feedback that I have heard to date has not been convincing one way or another, and I am always interested in ways to improve.  One would think it would help stabilize flight at longer distances, but is it significant enough to make a difference?

The guys down at Wilde Arrow, a local archery shop are telling me it really helps. I am going to get shooting within the next week and I can tell everyone what I think.

I have used four fletch a lot. Four 4inch feathers will give 16 inches of feather, and Three 5inch will give 15 inches. Also it does not matter where the cock feather is on four fletch, so your arrow goes on the string either way. My Switchback with a QAD rest can not shoot anything longer that 4inch feathers or vanes without getting into the rest. I shoot fixed broadheads and want all the guidance I can get, so I use four fletch arrows. I can not hear any differnce during flight and I gain one more inch of stabilizing fletch....I like them for hunting. Shooting field tips it would not make a difference....
Also they can all be the same color since a cock feather is not needed.

I shot 4, 3" vanes for several years.  Then I went to the 2" blazer vanes.  For the past 5 years all I've shot is 3, 2" blazers.  My arrows fly the same with broadheads as they do with field tips.  Plus, by dropping a vane off the back, it helps with your FOC.  (Front Of Center)

When I used to work in an archery shop for several years, I found that most guys who were having issues with their arrow flight resulted in a bow that wasn't tuned correclty.  If your bow is tuned perfectly within spec, your broadheads and field tips should hit in the same spot.  Unless you're using different tip weights, or a mix of different broadheads and arrow types, which isn't recommended. 

I have tried the 4 vanes as well.  A lot of it has to do with how much offset or helical you have as well.  For me, I could not tell any difference using 4 over 3.

Started shooting the four vanes and I can't really tell a difference in the range. With the added stability people say it gives me I will try them this year unless I run into issues along the way.

I have always used three and see no reason to go to four. If you bow is tuned well three should be fine :)

Tried both, liked three better because with four one of the vanes would touch my face or be close enough that it was uncomfortable. Could not tell a difference in how well the arrows shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back