time to get reaquainted with archery.

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
i admit.  the luster of bowhunting tarnished for me.  couple of reason.
1. swapping over to a left hand bow.  granted my left eye is awesome compared to my janky right eye.2. my mtn-bike crash last summer really hurt me badly.  my shoulders and elbows ache constantly.  PT lady said i need to draw back a lighter bow.
i put it off and off.  yesterday, i had to call my wife and ask, "honey, where is my bow?"
i blew off the dust, stomped on the spiders and drove it over to my buddies bowshop.  i ordered 50-60lb limbs.  this is a Hoyt Carbon Defiant34.  its a nice bow.  i am CERTAINLY not buying a new bow.  just in case the luster never comes back.
i think it is a mixture of pain and the remaining oddness of drawing and holding a bow back lefty.  i need more time behind it and in order to get it done, i have to suck it up and go lighter. 

i hope/pray my (now) overspined arrows still fly right..i suspect they will.  i have 3-dozen of them. :)

I'm not a fan of crossbows but Idaho will let you use one with a handicapped permit during archery season. I don't know about other states but I would look into one of those rather than give up archery hunting if it were me.

Unless you hunt where I do than you should give up archery all together. :lol:

You?re going to love that setup, Cliff.

Best most I ever made was jumping right handed to left.
Another one of the better moves was buying my hoyt....

Hope the new limbs help get the drive back Cliff! A few months of those and you?ll be ready to go back to the old limbs I bet.

DTP said:

Why did you make the switch? I?ve always shot right handed but I?m left eye dominant. Never caused any issues but I have wondered about shooting left handed.

jvanhoy said:
DTP said:

Why did you make the switch? I?ve always shot right handed but I?m left eye dominant. Never caused any issues but I have wondered about shooting left handed.

For me. My eyes. I missed my best shot at a couse deer. I blame my right eye. Unless it?s super bright, I give up some pin clarity. It wasn?t a responsible shot(looking back). 

My left eye is super clear. Clear pins clear target. I can shot both eyes open. It?s wildly my efficient.

jvanhoy said:
DTP said:

Similar to what boom said, it cleared up my pins.
I have good eyesight, but with my left eye being dominant my groups and shooting still managed to get better. 

Another thing I struggled with was quick reaction shots.  I?d find myself drawing back and closing the wrong eye in the peep.  I closed my eye when shooting righty, but can shoot with both eyes open now.  In the end it just feels more natural doing it lefty now and it was the greatest thing I ever did. 

Another perk.... used bows are way cheaper! ;) haha

Cliff I had to go down to 50/60 lbs a while back because I broke my collarbone and messed up the ball in my shoulder. I'm shooting 58 lbs now and my shooting is better than when I was shooting 70 lbs. Only had 2 arrows not pass through a elk shooting 58 and that was because the broadhead shopped in the far shoulder. I think you'll like the change.

DTP said:

Coming from a diehard Mathews man.... I never thought I would hear that :haha:

I am glad you have finally seen the light Dan... :razz:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back