Timing of the hunt

oscarsteve

Dec 11, 2018
I know Corey released his thoughts on when he would prefer to hunt (given a choice) this September due to the timing of the full moon.
My question to you guys comes after a conversation I had yesterday with a CPW Unit Ranger. He indicated that there would be some other archery hunters in the area of the unit I inquired about. However, he said it would be REALLY busy when muzzleloader season opened and ran concurrently with the archery season. That would be about Sept. 7 or 8 until the 14th or 15th (Full moon on the 13th and 14th). I can imagine bulls would certainly quiet down as a result.
So, would you hunt sometime during the first 2 weeks of archery season Aug. 24-Sept 6 to avoid that? We originally thought we would hunt Sept. 5-13 (leading up to the full moon and muzzleloader season).
Maybe I'm thinking too much about it?

I know moon phase is a variable that you can look at on a calendar and predict unlike hunting pressure and weather but I would hunt when hunting pressure is likely to be the lightest which would be before muzzleloader starts. Hunting pressure will quiet bulls down faster than anything else in my opinion and also limit areas you can hunt that aren't being hunted.

I would prefer to hunt unpressed elk even if they aren't vocal. I have shot elk on opening day and had good luck early when it's still hot out. They don't always talk but often will come to a call. I also have the benefit of having a walk in cooler so hot temps aren't as much of a concern for me.

Oscarsteve, you are in luck. The archery season doesn't open until August 31st this year and Muzzleloader doesn't open until September 14th. So your initial plans of Sept 5-13 should work great! :upthumb:

Thanks ribo451 for your insight on the timing of the hunt. It's much appreciated.

Also, thanks cohunter14 for posting the season dates for CO. I haven't been able to find definite dates for the 2019 season. I was just assuming they would be very close to the 2018 dates.

We have hunted during muzzleloader season with one guy holding a muzzle tag and the other an archery tag. Either one could have an opportunity on any day. I just have not noticed that much influence from muzzle hunters. They are just more visible in orange than a camo clothed bow hunter that you may never see. Most muzzle tags are also draw tags were archery can be OTC. Just another perspective on it I guess.

Since ML tags are issued thru the draw, you can research your unit to see how many ML elk and ML deer tags are issued and factor those into the equation.

And dont forget about ML bear, rifle bear, and possibly other seasons going on in Sept - depending on where you are hunting

Thanks cnelk, I'll look up that info. Interestingly, in another conversation I had with a ranger for an different GMU, I always ask about the presence of black bear and/or mountain lions (looks like both are everywhere in CO). He said, "Oh yeah, they're there. When you guys come out PLEASE buy a bear tag!" Seems like they want to get rid of some of them.

They dropped the nonresident tag from 350 to 100 on bear....we just about always have an encounter with a black bear but have only seen one lion.

nclonghunter said:
They dropped the nonresident tag from 350 to 100 on bear....we just about always have an encounter with a black bear but have only seen one lion.

That is because the calf mortality is so high. They deny that the bears are the problem but have lowered tags and encourage you to shoot one.

I can read between the lines...........

A ranger in a completely different unit told me that he would definitely be able to tell me where the sheep herds in his unit would be because he has had frequent contact with them due to the impact mountain lions are having on the sheep herds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back