Tips for finding cougar?

Huntnfolk

Jan 4, 2013
I've been hunting and spending time in the outdoors for years, but the one animal I have yet to see is a cougar.
I'm in Western Washington.  Any suggestions on how to find cougars, or better yet how to hunt them since dogs can't be used.  I've tried a little calling, but haven't had any luck.

To just go out and see a cougar without chasing them with dogs can be hard to do. We typically wait for at least a dusting of snow and find the track to get the dogs started. If you cannot use dogs this is still a good method to get a starting point. If you know where the cougars hang out you can set up and class and once in a while catch them soaking up the sun on a cliff. If interested in hunting them with dogs I can set you up. I have some friends who guide and the hunt is about as guaranteed as a hunt can be.

I have no experience hunting them so take what I say with a grain of salt.  But it can sometimes be difficult to find cougars even with dogs if there is no snow on the ground.  If you can find tracks, look for high rock outcrops as these are like a magnet for them.

I think most cougars are out prowling around in bars at late hours usually attacking younger men.. :D  j/k
Actually I have heard of people finding tracks as if you would be chasing them with dogs but then just walk them out tell you think your close like in the same draw and then have someone kinda push the draw. Pretty effective but time consuming..

GameSlayer said:
I think most cougars are out prowling around in bars at late hours usually attacking younger men.. :D  j/k
Actually I have heard of people finding tracks as if you would be chasing them with dogs but then just walk them out tell you think your close like in the same draw and then have someone kinda push the draw. Pretty effective but time consuming..

not to mention dangerous

I have cut fresh lion Tracks in my tracks and followed till I jumped. Never got a hot but it did work. It seemed to stop and sit every 100 yards or so. Anywhere coyotes stopped and pissed the cat would roll in it...

Bucklucky said:
I have cut fresh lion Tracks in my tracks and followed till I jumped. Never got a hot but it did work. It seemed to stop and sit every 100 yards or so. Anywhere coyotes stopped and pissed the cat would roll in it...

that's wild.  why does the cat roll in coyote urine?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
Bucklucky said:

that's wild.  why does the cat roll in coyote urine?

I have no idea why ??

well i just looked it up and the only conclusion I can come to is the cat spreads its scent to keep the coyotes out of its hunting territory

you could take my brother out in the woods with you, it got me a 20 yard shot at this one.  He has to be unarmed and predators just come to him, I think it's the Carls Jr. smell  he has lingering.
a>
cat2_zpsaf20a85a.jpg

I have been out in the desert many many times and I have never seen a lion in the wild.  I am pretty good at spotting game but the cats seem to elude my eyes.

The first 7 years I hunted I ran into cougars, so I started buying tags for them. Since then haven't seen one!  So if you want to see some cougars just don't have a tag for one, usually how it works. :D

I'm completely new to hunting the past 2 years but we're seen 4 cats while archery hunting for elk. I think I might be better at locating mountain lions than elk so far.

Oregonbowhiker said:
I'm completely new to hunting the past 2 years but we're seen 4 cats while archery hunting for elk. I think I might be better at locating mountain lions than elk so far.

haha.  that's how it goes.  you always see what you're not after.  It's almost like they know they're not on the menu

I think Thats more of an Oregon thing. according to ODFW there are over 7200 cougars and there should be about 3000 statewide. Lets just say a cougar kills two deer a month, do the math.

Sounds like they need to hunt more cougars. Maybe a harvest objective so they can keep the numbers in check.

I see tracks pretty often in both western and eastern oregon during archery season.  I have only seen one and I was in the seat of my truck and it jumped in the road in front of me. I think in western oregon and washington the best bet without dogs is to call them.  With the rain fall and the lack of snow for tracking it is about  our only option.  Ihope to try it this year but I said that last year.  just never seem to have the time.  When I do have a little time in the winter I usually go fishing ;D 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back