Tips for Hunting Elk in Wolf Infected Zones?

Elk typically quiet down in the presence of wolves. You might have to adjust tactics to more of a spot/stalk method if you find that the elk are not talking. My experience says that the elk will still be around, just not talking too much.

This will be my 1st time hunting elk in an area with wolves.  Warden said that if the wolves are working the same drainage as you are, then the Elk will be quieter and broken up into smaller groups.  But, if you jump over a drainage or two the Elk would be acting as normal. 

Makes sense.  Hunting pressure is hunting pressure, regardless of the predator I suppose. 

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

If I hear wolves, I relocate, bottom line.  If the elk aren't vocal, I'm not killing one.  The elk are not vocal in the presence of wolves. 

If your in Idaho sign up for Foundation for Wildlife Management.  They are an amazing group making a difference for all of us by reimbursing cost for wolf kills.  Started with just trapping costs-for those that will make a real difference in wolf number, but are now reimbursing during hunting season too in some units. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back