Tips for mule deer hunting?

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
My son and I both drew deer tags this year and if you\'ve followed any of my past I have only ever shot one big game animal, a doe, and it was a few years ago. I got very lucky that she stood up from her bed at 21 yards, perfectly broadside, and didn\'t move. Boom, dead doe. But, I am here to tell you that it was pure luck that we stumbled upon one of the dumbest deer in the woods...so, what tips do you have for mule deer hunting? This unit is a buck only tag so we have to find the boys. Any advice appreciated!

When is your hunt?
Bow? Rifle? Muzzy?

What is the terrain like? What type of vegetation are you looking at?
Is this an open place where you can glass or is it very thick?

How long will you have to hunt?

\"iccyman001\" said:
When is your hunt?
Bow? Rifle? Muzzy?

What is the terrain like? What type of vegetation are you looking at?
Is this an open place where you can glass or is it very thick?

How long will you have to hunt?
Great questions.

This is an archery hunt and season is from Aug 26-Sept 24. Of course, I have an elk tag to hunt in there as well but my job is flexible so I could be hunting on numerous over-nighters as this is less than 90 minutes from home. This is along the front range of Colorado, wooded, steep hills, draw unit that requires 2 points now, took me 3. Vegetation is typical front range grasses, sage, pine, aspen. I\'ve seen lots of berries in the bear scat but I\'ve never come across these mythical bushes back there. I could glass from elevation but it\'s through pines.

This is the doe I shot up there a few years ago, she stood up from her bed as we were walking through the area, never flinched until I had put an arrow through her. You can see the terrain though.

20140920_164248-1.jpg

The next season my son had his deer tag and we spot and stalked three brothers in velvet on opening weekend and covered 400 yards to within 40 yards and ran out of cover. My son was 13 at the time and only had an effective range of around 25 yards.

I have a couple cameras now and wondering if we can pattern muleys or is that a waste of time? I feel we have been lucky and willing to admit it, so any help is appreciated.

Or, we\'ll just be wandering around in the woods again...it certainly seems to work, lol.

Lark, I don\'t have lots of mulie hunting experience but have glassed bucks at the bases of the big pines that have low hanging branches for shade. Never had much luck patterning them but that\'s likely due to lack of hunting them.

From looking at your picture, you just need to setup there and wait. Did you notice the deer photobombing your son at the top of the pic? Seems like you\'re in a good area for deer!

Tom, unfortunately my experiences are a lot like Russ. I will say that I have never really had much for luck in the way of patterning big bucks, or bucks in general for that matter. If I get them on a trail cam, it\'s typically a random occurrence and they won\'t be there the next day.

With that being said, I typically find mule deer way easier than I do elk. They will tend to hang out in similar areas (think water, feed, cover, etc), but they are not near as skittish. I would think you and your son will have a great chance at putting an arrow in one this year :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back