Tips for pulling turkeys off private?

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
This is my first time hunting spring turkey, and the BLM I am on is surrounded by private on the two sides that I hear turkeys. They are LOUD and I can hear them clearly, but they won?t make a move on my calls. Is it possible to call too much, or too loud? I know they have great hearing, so if I can hear them loud and clear, should I call more quietly? Dang birds just won?t bite! Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivar88 said:
This is my first time hunting spring turkey, and the BLM I am on is surrounded by private on the two sides that I hear turkeys. They are LOUD and I can hear them clearly, but they won?t make a move on my calls. Is it possible to call too much, or too loud? I know they have great hearing, so if I can hear them loud and clear, should I call more quietly? Dang birds just won?t bite! Any tips?

Ok so lots of questions....
Are the roosting trees on private or public?
Are there fences around the private and they are on the other side?
What time can you hunt until in ND? (Some states you can?t hunt turkeys all day)
Are you using decoys?
What time are they talking to you and when do you stop perusing those birds?

DTP said:
Ivar88 said:

Ok so lots of questions....
Are the roosting trees on private or public?
Are there fences around the private and they are on the other side?
What time can you hunt until in ND? (Some states you can?t hunt turkeys all day)
Are you using decoys?
What time are they talking to you and when do you stop perusing those birds?

So the birds are roosting on private to the south and west. But I mean...I can hear them like they?re next to me.

To the south there is a 3 wire fence.

Proclamation and field guide don?t say anything about half days so I?m hunting all day.

Decoys are another question I have. I have a jake and a hen. I?ve read a lot of folks run both and get the toms all fired up.

Opening morning they were gobbling from the roost and continued to for the next 3 hours.

I have a camera about 200 yards from where I set up and I have them passing through at around 11am. I didn?t go down there to hunt because it is so dense. I picked an open spot for them to see the decoys. That and I can see a lot further.

Turkeys can be a pain in the butt to kill off the roost. The second they are with live hens you're out of luck for a little while, unless you can call those hens to you.

Your pictures answered something for me that I was going to say next. Your best bet is kill the birds after they breed their hens. Turkeys are said to be pretty dumb, but to me they have a good memory.

I'd talk to them a little on the roost so they know you are there and maybe a little more when they come down. Then around 9 on I'd be calling again here and there. I have seen A LOT of birds killed after they are done breeding their hens. Because now they are out searching for more love. Boom.... now you're ready!

If they were roosted on public I could give you a better tactic, but honestly your best option if you can't get those hens to you will be to find those birds while they are on the mid day prowl.

DTP said:
Turkeys can be a pain in the butt to kill off the roost. The second they are with live hens you're out of luck for a little while, unless you can call those hens to you.

Your pictures answered something for me that I was going to say next. Your best bet is kill the birds after they breed their hens. Turkeys are said to be pretty dumb, but to me they have a good memory.

I'd talk to them a little on the roost so they know you are there and maybe a little more when they come down. Then around 9 on I'd be calling again here and there. I have seen A LOT of birds killed after they are done breeding their hens. Because now they are out searching for more love. Boom.... now you're ready!

If they were roosted on public I could give you a better tactic, but honestly your best option if you can't get those hens to you will be to find those birds while they are on the mid day prowl.

I appreciate  the advice. I took a couple days of leave so I will go out again this week and give it a shot!

the roost tree will give me fits.  i posted up right under them in the dark.  i could hear them up there farting. (i kid)

but i spent the dark hours googling wild turkey recipes.  the sun crept up, the tree came to life..and i watched them fly off and glide damn near 2oo yards away.  it took a LONG time for them to work back.

find the landing spot..not the tree.

pulling them off private.  i use ONLY a hen decoy..and pull them later in the season.  they start looking for the holdouts. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back