Tips to better shooting?

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
I'm focused on improving my accuracy with the bow, so i broke down and got a target so i can shoot the 8 yards across my garage, which I'm doing 4 -5 days a week.  Its hard to consistently get out to my club to shoot further distances, and I've been amazed at how much my accuracy has improved with the frequent short distance shooting and attention to form.

What other tips to folks have to help improve accuracy.

Working on form alone by shooting with your eyes closed form just a couple yards away.  This is really helpful so you can just feel what a good release and shot feel like without worrying about where the arrow hits.  I also shoot in my garage at about 13 yards. 

Shoot shoot shoot! I have a target in my garage and can go out into the street and get a 30 yard shot. I shoot 3 plus times a week at a local range in the past. Need to get rolling still this year. Also I find it hard to beat going to at least one or two 3d ranges each year.

I shoot my RER recurve or Mathews in my garage about every day. Was trying a new anchor point on my recurve yesterday and put one in the cinder block wall. Arrow didn't fair too well on that shot :-[ .
It really makes a difference in my shooting just to shoot a few arrows every day.

working on a new basement right now.by this fall I will have a 20 yard shooting rang in the house.Thinking about adding on and making it 30 yards for guns also.sucks shooting out side in the snow in sub 0 temps. ;)

Sounds like everyone here is shooting short distances, but I like to shoot really far just to practice. That way when I shoot from 20-40 yards it makes it seem like a chip shot. I also like to shoot how my body feels comfortable, it might not be great form, but when an elk walks in front of me, my mind usually goes blank because I'm so excited and its instinct doing all the work haha. Someday I might be a jedi and be able to control it.

You can't beat getting that time behind the bow! But I agree with MT_mulies, make sure you shoot long range when u can! The slightest flaw in your shooting form or set-up will become evident at longer range. Dealing with those issues early will make you even more accurate at close ranges!

I have a bit of target panic when I shoot from long distances.  Don't really know why but perhaps it is that my confidense just isn't there when I shoot from beyond 45 yards.  It is the darndest thing.  I think the blind bale shooting has helped me shoot better.  Another is getting myself to focus on the target rather than paying attention to my trigger hand.  When I do that I really shoot my best.

Back