Top 3 pieces of gear you hunt with

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
What are they and why do you like these select pieces of gear. Aside from your bow or rifle

Mine are my Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack.  Absolutely amazing.  The weight in it doesn't seem like the weight you're carrying.  Rugged tough and unbeatable in the pack game.
Secondly my tech clothing. I sport the KUIU line. Being lightweight and truly the best moisture wicking I've found as I sweat like a pig no matter what shape I'm in. This year early season the Tiburon ultra lightweight is my upper and attack pants for my lower. Does well into mid and late season with a decent base layer when the temp drops
Third is my knife. Made here locally my James Behring, Behring made knife is a do all bad to the bone get things done knife.  Literally from camp knife to processing elk my Behring made bridger is something I don't leave home without even when recreating with the family. Holds the best edge and won't curl chip or dull after just one use. Anyone who likes top notch gear should check him out.

Man, what a great question. It sure makes you realize all of the things you could live without! Thanks for the suggestion on the knife as well, I'll have to check it out.

I would say waterproof and comfortable boots would be one of them. I've had the opposite before and it can just ruin a day. Doesn't matter the brand as long as they fit well and are waterproof!

I'll second the good clothing suggestion. There is nothing worse than being soaking wet from sweat or rain/snow, cold, or uncomfortable from not using solid apparel. I have used Under Armour gear for years now and have been happy. I'm considering giving some Sitka a try this year though.

The other one I would add, in no particular order, is my Leica 1600B rangefinder. Whether hunting archery or rifle, that is one piece of equipment I want to have handy.

All of mine are scent based: Ozonics, Upwind Odor Eliminator, and Scentblocker garments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) boots
2) optics
3) shelter or outerwear

If I'm in a tent w/ a stove like a seek outside then my outerwear isn't quite as critical. If it's a straight up bivouac then 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Kdkehoe said:
Planopurist-  Do you tree stand hunt or blind hunt, or C, both a and b?  :)

Last year I was in a ground blind 100% of the time. This year I will hunt in treestands some also.

montanaelk31 said:
Kuiu gear, elk calls, havalon.

Have you ever inadvertently broken a blade with too much pressure. I opted for the Outdoor Edge blade instead as sometimes I can see myself getting carried away and prying too much.  But I hadn't talked to anyone with experience with the Havalon

Great question!

I guess my top three this year are: my pack, boots, and a knife.
They may not be top of the line stuff, but they certainly carry a huge part on whether my trip goes easier than not.

My boots are important because I spend lots of time hiking or running and gunning throughout the day. The last thing I need is for bootsthat cut my feet up, aren't comfy, or don't keep my feet dry.

My pack is important because I need to be carry what I want, to where I want, and to do it comfortably. I think we have all experienced hauling stuff with a bad pack and that is just one item I won't ever cheap out on or get one that doesn't work to my liking.

A knife is not only something that we can use to breakdown our elk, but I really think some people forget that a knife is important for survival..... so I make sure my knife or knives are sturdy, sharp, and readily available.
I think the worst non-life threatening knife issue I ever had was when a bull I shot fell in a muddy wallow. Having a few dull knives made that the worst breakdown job I ever had.
Never again....

Kdkehoe said:
What do you mean 2 is 1 1 is none. Sorry I may be a bit dense  :D

Its a special ops slogan that is applicable to adventure/backcountry hunting. Simply put having 1 of something in "survivalist" situations does you no good because at somepoint, sometime it's going to fail. When I'm hunting off a backpack for 5, 7, 9, 11, etc... days at a time, miles from a trail head, alot of my stuff is pulling double duty. Yes I have an ultra light shelter but if that fails, my rain gear becomes a shelter so it's imperative that I have quality rain gear. If my sleeping bag gets wet or a bear rips it apart, my puffy down layers become my sleep system, and so on and so forth. Finding things with multiple purposes and then having backups while trying to avoid one dimensional pieces of gear (some of that is going to happen no matter how hard you try) is what the saying revolves around.

Kdkehoe said:
montanaelk31 said:

Have you ever inadvertently broken a blade with too much pressure. I opted for the Outdoor Edge blade instead as sometimes I can see myself getting carried away and prying too much.  But I hadn't talked to anyone with experience with the Havalon

never been an issue for me, I carry a havalon almost 100% of the time with a paklite backup

1. Lowa Boots
    I've got 3 "odd" toe nails that are from years of running boots that "felt" good but weren't built to do what I put them through.
2. Kifaru Pack
    For me it's the best fitting I've ran and allows me to move weight from hips, shoulders, in between, to rest certain parts on long heavy hikes.
3. Havalon Titan Knife
    Replaceable blade for skinning on one end solid blade for boning on other. Carrying a gerber vital as backup this year.

Kdkehoe said:
montanaelk31 said:

The first elk I deboned with the XT blades I did get a break. But now, man, I can get 2 elk deboned with 1 blade easy.  This past year it was 2 elk and a bear, not counting the claw work. Love those xt blades.  I do have the havalon that I can put saw blades or barracuda Blades on the other side, but that's rare that I need those as we debone everything immediately. Tried the 60a blades but they aren't surgically sharp for very long. Yes a blade breaks every once in a while.  But I haven't needed to buy a new set of blades since I been using havalons for 5 years.

DTP said:
Great question!

They may not be top of the line stuff, but they certainly carry a huge part on whether my trip goes easier than not.

My boots are important because I spend lots of time hiking or running and gunning throughout the day. The last thing I need is for boots that cut my feet up, aren't comfy, or don't keep my feet dry.

My pack is important because I need to be carry what I want, to where I want, and to do it comfortably. I think we have all experienced hauling stuff with a bad pack and that is just one item I won't ever cheap out on or get one that doesn't work to my liking.

A knife is not only something that we can use to breakdown our elk, but I really think some people forget that a knife is important for survival..... so I make sure my knife or knives are sturdy, sharp, and readily available.
I think the worst non-life threatening knife issue I ever had was when a bull I shot fell in a muddy wallow. Having a few dull knives made that the worst breakdown job I ever had.
Never again....

I can promise you guys that this isn't always so important to Daniel.  LOL!

Bowfreak said:
DTP said:
Great question!

My boots are important because I spend lots of time hiking or running and gunning throughout the day. The last thing I need is for boots that cut my feet up, aren't comfy, or don't keep my feet dry.

Never again....

I can promise you guys that this isn't always so important to Daniel.  LOL!

LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

backcountry_hunter said:
Kdkehoe said:
What do you mean 2 is 1 1 is none. Sorry I may be a bit dense  :D

Its a special ops slogan that is applicable to adventure/backcountry hunting. Simply put having 1 of something in "survivalist" situations does you no good because at somepoint, sometime it's going to fail. When I'm hunting off a backpack for 5, 7, 9, 11, etc... days at a time, miles from a trail head, alot of my stuff is pulling double duty. Yes I have an ultra light shelter but if that fails, my rain gear becomes a shelter so it's imperative that I have quality rain gear. If my sleeping bag gets wet or a bear rips it apart, my puffy down layers become my sleep system, and so on and so forth. Finding things with multiple purposes and then having backups while trying to avoid one dimensional pieces of gear (some of that is going to happen no matter how hard you try) is what the saying revolves around.

Thanks for the explanation.  That never crossed my mind. You sir, have just threw in a whole new dynamic to my game LOL.  I shall refer to your post when I start looking at some alternative gear choices and my wife starts to ask questions buahaha.  Naw I've got a supportive wife who would rather me be safe and comfortable and come home than not. 

Thanks again for the advice!!

Planopurist said:
All of mine are scent based: Ozonics, Upwind Odor Eliminator, and Scentblocker garments.

Sorry, I responded from the perspective of whitetail hunting.

Planopurist said:
Planopurist said:

Sorry, I responded from the perspective of whitetail hunting.

Don't be sorry, these questions can pertain to any type of hunter.
Lots of people on here are elk AND whitetail addicts....and mule deer.....and antelope.... lol

;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back