Topo Maps

dukkhnter

Aug 26, 2015
How many of you guys still carry paper maps?  I'm looking to get a few because I'm tired of staring at the tiny GPS screen and makes it even harder to look at with a buddy.  Do you know where you can get the pretty detailed ones locally(Boise)?  Years ago you could buy them in Sportsmans and others, but I have seen nobody with the detailed ones.  Going to try REI today or tomorrow.  I'm looking for the 1:100000 or 1:24000.

I'm old school too. I always carry a map, a compass & a protractor. If your GPS goes down your in it deep. Plot your coordinates every hour & the direction of travel. That way you always know approximately your location & how together back to camp. Go to the USGS website & find the map you. Download, increase size to 100%, and move to area of map you want, take a screenshot& print/laminate. Or you could just buy the map for about $20.

GPS's are handy but I will never really on them fully. Always have a compass with me. Maps are handy and I also enjoy at least having them pack at camp to look over.

I still carry paper maps. I like that you can write notes on them and make marks on them. I realize that you can do that on a GPS as well but I'm afraid of memory loss on the GPS.

Have a Garmin 64st linked to BaseCamp on my computer. You can print your own custom maps this way. Laminate them for waterproofing.

dkkhnter. Arnolds map service in Vancouver WA. Call and order what you need. 3606957897
They should have what you need.

dukkhnter said:
How many of you guys still carry paper maps?  I'm looking to get a few because I'm tired of staring at the tiny GPS screen and makes it even harder to look at with a buddy.  Do you know where you can get the pretty detailed ones locally(Boise)?  Years ago you could buy them in Sportsmans and others, but I have seen nobody with the detailed ones.  Going to try REI today or tomorrow.  I'm looking for the 1:100000 or 1:24000.

Google ruggedmaps.com I think that was there name. Amazing detail on a cloth based waterproof map. They look great.

dukkhnter said:

kukkhnter: Go to Idaho Blueprint & Supply on Capital/Main, next to Humpin' Hannahs. They have detailed USGS maps for every part of Idaho. Only about $8-$12 for a nice map.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back