Traditional or gutless

usmcvet

Jul 8, 2013
Just curious what method most of you use. Does anyone eat any of the innards, i.e.-heart, liver, tongue?

I started to use gutless long before it was popular. I usually bone it out at the kill site too.

I'm an old guy who hunts alone. So, my goal is to get the meat out as quick as possible. So, I use the fastest method that also gives me the lightest loads. I'm  have only so many trips to the Jeep in me.

I have used gutless method for years,mostly backcountry mulies.
I use it with elk when they are in hard to get out or warm places.

I'm lucky most of my hunts are the in local mesa/ranchlands with easy access.
Not so much in the Gila,where it's hard to get a mule in,let alone vehicle. Gutless is only way to go.  Sept./Oct. hunts are usually in warmer weather too.

I do like leaving the meat on the bones if it's cool, to age. I hang them in bags for a few days if possible. Let the meat retract/relax and tenderize. Neck meat and backstraps/tenders off first.

I'm a firm believer once you go gutless you dont go back! ;)

The only thing I have is a small problem getting all the tender loins out its kind of a pain.

Garrett Weaver said:
I'm a firm believer once you go gutless you dont go back! ;)

The only thing I have is a small problem getting all the tender loins out its kind of a pain.
[/quo

I watched some videos of the gutless method, and I can see pros and cons in both. I just hope I get to try the gutless method this fall! Good luck brothers!

Gutless for life!

After using gutless on two elk and two deer I killed a cow elk with my bow. I had a couple of friends along and then some random guy came along as we were tracking her. Upon finding her 60 yards away, I was getting ready to start the gutless and somehow those three guys convinced me that I should gut the elk.  Of course they all watched and coached a bit as I proceeded to get bloody up to my elbows not to mention the stench. Never again!

Friends don't let friends do anything but the gutless method. Period. 

One thing that helps get out the loins when using gutless is to cut out the backstraps, and loins before working on the quarters. That way you're not dealing with as much bloat.

Once I learned how to do the guttless method I have never gutted an animal, don't know if I could even remember how to gut one!

OldMan said:
One thing that helps get out the loins when using gutless is to cut out the backstraps, and loins before working on the quarters. That way you're not dealing with as much bloat.

Good idea. Thanks for sharing. I usually do the straps first, but then move to the quarters and get the loins last. I've always just figured you have to deal with the bloat.

Question - do you cut out the loins or just use your hands to "tear" it out? I've found it's pretty easy to just pull/tear it out with my fingers in there rather than risk putting a sharp blade in there and risk spoiling the meat with one errant blade.

I have a small pocket knife that I just use to help get the loins out. It seems easier than ripping them out. I keep the little knife sharp, but not razor sharp like my other knives. It sort of saves my fingers.

Gutless is Great!!! Onepiece of advice I will share that I learned the hard way....Make sure you bleed the elk out before doing gutless method. If the Elk dies with the rear down the mountain, it is tough to get the blood out. The first piece of meat you cut off the hindquarters the blood will pour out making a bloody mess back there. If you can, try to get head/neck down the hill and once you have the hide peeled back, Give the throat/jugular a cut and let it bleed. Unless someone has a better idea???

been doing gutless since before it had a name unless its next to the truck, witch is never for me, its gona be gutless ,for the tenderloins before you take off the rear quarters put the hed down hill all the guts will slide up into the chest cavity and give easy access to the loins,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back