Training for back country hunts

SIDEHILLARCHERY

Dec 29, 2012
So my question is, what's more beneficial for backcountry hunts or day hunts even. Long distant running or a lot of quick sprints? And heavy weights or light weights with lots of reps!

According to livestrong long distance is better for weight loss and sprinting is better for muscle gain.  doesn't make much sense to me but also hiking with weight on your back is some of the best exercise you can do.  and for weights heavy weights build strength and lighter weights are supposed to build endurance, but I usually just do isometric stuff with body weight for that(pushups, pullups, etc)

the last time we went out to colorado (I live in WV) we did long distance running and also long walks with weights. I think the weights helped more than the running.

The long distance running will give you the cardio, the weights will give you the strength to get up and down the mountain.

I like to train the same way I hunt but with more weight and harder climbs. Living in Colorado makes it easy to find big steep mtns to climb. I also like to pack my bow, guess yardage, and shoot with my heart rate up. 

Backpack Hunter got it right in my book. Lots of cardio and weights. It is not one or the other, it takes both. I would add core workouts getting the abbs and back strong.

Two years ago after training super hard. I almost blew my season with poor boot selection. I shredded both heels only 4 miles in on my 14 mile trip. Nothing can make a hunt more miserable then multiple blisters.

Attachments

• P9100231.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3
EatElk said:
Two years ago after training super hard. I almost blew my season with poor boot selection. I shredded both heels only 4 miles in on my 14 mile trip. Nothing can make a hunt more miserable then multiple blisters.

ouch.  i would have taken the boots off and gone barefoot over that

Variation.  You will find that keeping your body guessing will pay the biggest dividends.

DO both! It doesnt hurt to be strong in two different elements. Weight train as well. Think of your body as a truck or a piece of machinery? Do you want a powerful engine, but a tin body? Or a steel body with a 4 cylinder engine?

Back